Connect with us


The Engine Room and Powerful Bureaucrats from JRJ years



Excerpted from volume two of Sarath Amunugama’s autobiography

While JRJ with his seniority and authority was skillfully overseeing his cabinet ministers, he also set up a coterie of officials and personal friends and relatives who became the real power behind the throne. What is significant is that this group were top class professionals who could interact freely but respectfully with the leader and his minsters. JRJ was comfortable with the popular appellation of Nayakathuma or ‘’The Leader’ in public, though it also had undertones of ‘Der Fuhrer’. Only close relatives or intimate friends could address him as ‘Dickie’. The exception were the long standing Marxists, NM, Colvin, Pieter and Bernard Soysa who got on well with him even though they were political opponents.

I remember some ministers grumbling that Bernard Soysa could get anything through the `Old Man’. The core triumvirate of officials was G.V.P. Samarasinghe, Menikdiwela and Sepala Attygalle. Associated with them were Colonel Dharmapala, Harry Jayewardene, Ranjan Wijeratne, Esmond Wickremesinghe, Roly Jayewardene and N.G.P. Panditaratne. This was a powerful clique which had the ear of the leader and together was more powerful than the Cabinet.

They had easy access to JRJ and their views often prevailed over that of ministers, though it never came to an open conflict. Ambitious young ministers sought to curry favour with these advisors as a way of getting into the good books of the leader. Samarasinghe and Menikdiwela’s influence was strong because they had immediate access to JRJ, having their offices close to that of the President. No public servant could see the President without Menik knowing about it.

GVP was the strategist while Menikdiwela was the enforcer. The latter was the President’s link to the public servants and the backbenchers. As Secretary to the President he managed his boss’s diary. In all Presidencies the diary keeper plays a crucial role as gate keeper, since he decides who will or will not meet the big man. Ministers, Diplomats, Permanent Secretaries and other high ups had to wait on him to get an appointment.

This was particularly so in JRJ’s case as he tended to interact with officials through Menikdiwela. He was a vintage political figure and had little personal contact with younger officials. JR was not a micro manager as many Presidents tend to be. As senior officials it was a pleasure to work with JRJ as he was precise, clear and willing to listen. Interviews with him on official matters were quite short. After listening to a narration of a problem he would invariably ask the official to indicate his solution.

On most occasions he would give his approval immediately endorsing the suggested solution and standing by it. He disliked officials who took a long time to explain a problem and was not ready with a solution. Most of his decisions were highly predictable because he had been advocating such measures over a long period of time. For instance he had spoken of changing the Constitution and introducing an executive Presidential system many years before he became President.

In power he carefully drafted a new republican constitution with the help of specialists like A.J. Wilson, Kingsley de Silva and lawyers J.A. Cooray and Harry Jayewardene. He had advocated the issue of free school books when he was in the State Council. As President he implemented it without counting the cost. He backed Ronnie to the hilt in liberalizing the economy, while strengthening the safety net for the poor. Both were not unreconstructed capitalists; they both had a streak of socialism and refused to follow the dictates of the multilateral organizations like the IMF and the World Bank. When the World Bank was imposing unacceptable conditions regarding the funding of the accelerated Mahaweli scheme, JRJ threatened its Vice President David Hopper that he would go to commercial banks.

Indeed, he undertook the building of all the Mahaweli dams on bilateral credit with friendly donors. Some were outright grants. This predictability may have had its drawbacks. He depended heavily on the US and the West, leading to disenchantment with him by India. This pained him because of all the local politicians he was the great ‘India lover’. In his own words he was “a lover of India and a follower of her greatest son.

The new economy became a liability when it came to managing ethnic relations in the country. India wielded the big stick and Sri Lanka got embroiled in an ethnic conflict which blighted JRJ’s achievements and spilt over to paralyze his successors. As I shall show later this was exacerbated by the inefficiency and lack of realism on the part of our Foreign Ministry which continuously gave him bad advice concerning India.

Hameed the Foreign Minister was not popular in India. De Silva and Wriggins refer to JRJ telling them that Morarji Desai asked him to have a Sinhalese as the Foreign Minister. Later on in this chapter there will be discussion on the role of the Foreign Ministry which exacerbated the Indo-Lanka conflict.

G.V.P. Samarasinghe

The lynch pin of JRJs ‘engine room’ was G.V.P. Samarasinghe, who was a top bureaucrat and a star of the CCS. He had joined the CCS in the halcyon days of that service and was proud of his achievements in it from the time of his cadetship in the forties. He was quite fond of me. It was probably because he too was a maverick official, who liked to work in the provinces and had a distinguished record as the Director of Rural Development when he was taken under the wing of DS Senanayake.

He was a supporter of the UNP because he liked its rural approaches under the Senanayakes. Though he graduated with a good degree in English he knew Pali and Sanskrit. His father had been a wellknown Ayurvedic physician in Colombo and was a member of the Vidyadhara Sabha which was the governing body of Vidyodaya Pirivena. Once when the seniormost priest at Maligakanda died, GVP asked me to accompany him and represent him on the funeral organizing committee.

He was a strong believer in the supremacy of the CCS and was contemptuous of the other services though he enjoyed the company of a few senior DROs like Stanley Maralande who had worked under him when he was GA Kegalle. He was proud of his role as the Chairman of the State Trading Corporation where he completely reorganized this commercial institution into a profit making national venture.

He told me that from his desk in Colombo he could instantly oversee all the operations of the STC. This was facilitated by his network of underlings from all over the country coming from the Rural Development field and the State Trading Corporation who would visit him in his Jawatte road home and provide him with information about what was going on in the countryside. He was fiercely loyal to these former employees and would help in getting their children into schools and into minor jobs in the Government service.

Once he explained his personnel policy to me in the following way. As a cadet in the CCS he had been trained in administration by Sir Velupillai Coomaraswamy, who was then Government Agent of a district which was of top priority to the British, Trincomalee. Coomaraswamy had told GVP, “Do not worry about a job; worry about the man you assign to do that job. If he is good he will do it. Even if he cannot, he will try his level best to succeed.”

GVP relished challenges and his political bosses came to depend heavily on him. He would invite a few of us to his house for a drink of his favourite ‘pol arrack’ and chain smoking “Three Rose” cigarettes reminisce about his days as a young civil servant in the provinces. While he had many friends among leftist leaders, he was a dedicated UNPer and a super-efficient implementer of the President’s decisions.

Another super-efficient administrator was my University friend Wickreme Weerasooria. He ran the Ministry of Plan Implementation and together with Planning Officers who adored him, took that Ministry to perform very efficiently in rural development much to the envy of the SLAS, which was losing its pre-eminent position due to the open market policies of the new government and the rise of a new phalanx of entrepreneurs who were supported by the Government and did not need to go behind bureaucrats.

Also large scale recruitment to the SLAS led to a rapid decline in quality which made it only one cut above the clerical service. While the new business elite was encouraged by JRJ they naturally were more comfortable with the younger Ministers like Gamini Dissanayake and Lalith Athulathmudali much to the suspicion of Premadasa who thought, perhaps rightly, that he was a crucial factor in winning the 1977 election and deserved to be treated as a special favourite.

To this must be added JRJs personal preference for an upper class westernized life style which had marked both him and Dudley. Having being dowered with a fortune which made his living comfortable, JRJ was never a spendthrift or a show off. But he liked to spend evenings in his house, or President’s House, with his friends enjoying a brandy and a quality cigar after a western meal with wine.

Being very methodical and forthright, while being very democratic in the public arena – with no inhibitions about food and companionship – he was very choosy when it came to his personal life and associates. After he wrapped up his busy official duties during the day, in the evenings he was a private person and meetings were by invitation only. He was not a workaholic like Premadasa who was politicking day and night.

JRJ had time for his wife and family, especially his grandchildren to whom he was a tolerant ‘Seeya’ being both guardian and companion. Only a few favourites like Gamini, Wickreme, Esmond and Ranil Wickremesinghe, Upali Wijewardene, Ranjan Wijeratne, Menikdiwela and Bodinagoda could see him without prior appointment. This led to much heartburn among senior ministers like EL Senanayake and Hameed who felt that their activities were put under the scanner at these informal meetings.Ronnie and Lalith on the other hand were more relaxed about these cabals because the leader went out of his way to consult them on technical matters. All in all while there was a creative tension and Premadasa was surreptitiously building up his forces, the towering personality of JRJ and his proven success of delivering a five sixth majority in Parliament, held the party together.

The Opposition was in tatters and the old left leaders were in the wilderness though everybody knew that JRJ would bend backwards to humor them. When they complained about some decisions regarding Mahaweli settlements on the instigation of Ernest Abeyratne, the Director of Agriculture, he sent NM and Colvin with Gamini Dissanayake by helicopter to visit the site and solve the problem. In the Information Ministry, Minister Wijetunga and I worked closely with Esmond Wickremesinghe who at that time had left Lake House management to his brother-in-law Ranjit Wijewardene, and was managing a News Agency called Lankapuwath. It was a pleasure to work with this legendary ‘backroom operator’ of the UNP who had pulled the strings of its leaders from the time of Sir John onwards, and had masterminded the defeat of the Bill to nationalize Lake House which led to the fall of the Sirimavo government in 1965.

GVP was instrumental in setting up the Development Secretaries Committee. He presided over a weekly meeting of selected Secretaries. To the best of my recollection it included Finance, Trade and Shipping, Food and Agriculture, Public Administration and Home Affairs, Plan Implementation, Industries and Tourism as well as Information that I represented. We would meet every Tuesday and go over the agenda for the Cabinet meeting which was scheduled to be held every Wednesday morning.

Observations sent by line ministries were studied and a common position was ironed out with the concurrence of the secretaries concerned. Once this meeting was concluded GVP and Menikdiwela would brief the President who would therefore be fully aware of the consensus of views of Secretaries and could add whatever he wanted to the proposals before him. Needless to say it gave GVP almost dictatorial powers and many a minister discussed their proposals with him before preparing their Cabinet papers. Since GVP was a workaholic and a master draftsman this system worked very well. I have participated in many Cabinet meetings but none have had the comprehensiveness and usefulness of GVP’s background briefings on the issues discussed.


Another important person in the new administration was W.M.P.B. Menikdiwela who kept the wheels of the administration moving. He was a DRO who had caught Dudley’s eye when he served in Dedigama. During the Dudley administration of 1965-70 he was assistan secretary to the PM and had been a fanatical Senanayake loyalist. In 1970 he had been transferred to the boondocks, but had managed to remain in Colombo as a Secretary to the Leader of the Opposition which then was an SLAS position.After Dudley’s death both he and GVP were recruited by JRJ to be his advisors. When Felix Bandaranaike tried to arrest JRJ on his return from Australia, on the eve of the 1977 election, Menikdiwela was able to mobilize his public service links to frustrate that effort. This made JRJ a great believer in his Secretary’s competence and made him his chief point man in interacting with Government officials.

These innovations made the Secretary of the Ministry of Public Administration DBIPS Siriwardhana somewhat redundant but he soldiered on unhappily. In effect this was the end of DBIPS’ career. Though much praised, I found him to be an eccentric and something of a showoff. Whenever he took a decision DBIPS made sure that his journalist sycophants were well briefed about it. He died a disappointed man a few years later.

Many senior ex- CCS officers like Balasuriya, Elkaduwe and Premawardene, who had no charges served on them, were discontinued from service in mid career and Siriwardene made no attempt to stand up for them. He never went out of his way even when he could help a fellow officer to get his entitlement. All these officials who were cut off in their mid-career from the Civil Service were unjustly treated by the Government but DBI would not lift a finger on their behalf. Since the UNP rule lasted for 17 years these victimized officers could not get redress from a successor Government. All three officers were liberal but not politically partisan. Their dismissal was a blot on the Ministry of Public Administration as well as the JRJ regime.

On the contrary Menik would help many public servants, particularly former DROs, by briefing JRJ who generally went along with his recommendations. During this period the public service was greatly improved by the rise of the Planning Service which came directly under the President and was managed by Wickreme Weerasooria as Permanent Secretary. Most of the rural development work was transferred to the Planning Service.

Radical changes came only in JRJ’s second term when the Provincial Council system was introduced and the monopoly of the central government was undermined. I found it very easy to work with Menik as I had known him as my neighbour in the Kynsey road housing complex during the Dudley era. Later when I was a minister under CBK, I made an effort to get him an appointment as an Ambassador. But many who had benefited from his kindness refused to support him and Menik died a disillusioned man.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Vinland: A Question of Timing



By Gwynne Dyer

“If the 20th century AD were dated at the same resolution as the 20th century BC, the two World Wars would be indistinguishable in time; and the Montgomery Bus Strike might post-date the release of Mandela.” So wrote the ECHOES team of palaeohistorians at Groningen University in the northern Netherlands – and then they fixed the problem.

Their new method for dating events in the distant past immediately got my attention, because the first problem they solved was the exact date of the first European settlement in the New World. It was the Viking settlement at L’Anse aux Meadows at the very northernmost tip of Newfoundland, and the year was 1021 AD.

I was always interested in the Norse, because I grew up in Newfoundland and that was already seen as the likeliest location of the region they called ‘Vinland’. I read the sagas (‘Erik the Red’ and ‘The Greenlanders’), which were rip-roaring tales of triumph and treachery but distinctly short on geographical and chronological detail.

Then in the 1960s, Norwegian archaeologists discovered the remains of eight Norse longhouses on the L’Anse aux Meadows site. So, the location was known, but still not the date. The explorers came from the new Norse settlements in Greenland, which had been founded in 985 AD, but nobody knew how much later they arrived in Newfoundland.

So, what the hell! Let’s say it was the year 1000 AD. The Newfoundland Museum declared that the year 2000 was the millennium of the Viking settlement, the local tourist authorities went into high gear – and somebody at the Museum contacted me to write the script for the exhibition, because…well, because I was a journalist and a Newfoundlander.

I swallowed my doubts, named my price, and did the job. Not a bad job, actually, because I could play with the fact that the Norse in Newfoundland had both peaceful and violent contacts with the local indigenous people.Those people, probably related to the extinct Beothuk of Newfoundland or the modern Innu of Labrador, were very distant descendants of the modern human beings who left Africa around 100,000 years ago, turned right, crossed all of Asia, and finally arrived in North America when the glaciers receded about 14,000 years ago.

The Norse, on the other hand, were the distant descendants of those who turned left when they left Africa, settled in Europe – and eventually island-hopped across the Atlantic. After all those millennia the two streams of migration finally met up again in Newfoundland. So, I called the exhibition ‘Full Circle’, and slid past the question of exactly when it happened.

But now we know. The ECHOES team (it stands for ‘Exact Chronology of Early Societies’) figured it out by examining bits of wood found on the L’Anse aux Meadows site that had clearly been cut with iron (European) axes. A huge solar flare in 993 AD left a spike in that year’s tree rings, so just count rings out from there to the bark. The trees died in 1021.

The specific date of L’Anse aux Meadows doesn’t really matter, of course, but the technique does. Cosmic-ray-induced surges in atmospheric radiocarbon concentrations are another new tool for figuring out the past, and that is now important work.

Two centuries ago, our knowledge of the past barely reached back past classical Greece and Rome: say, 3,000 years. Now scientists are working hard to puzzle out past climate states ranging from hundreds to billions of years ago, because understanding the patterns of the past may help us through whatever happens next. Every scrap of information may be valuable.

All very well, but why didn’t the Norse settlement last?

They abandoned their exploration of north-eastern North America because the ‘cash crop’ they were looking for in Vinland turned out to be much closer to home: ivory from the abundant walrus population that they could hunt in Disko Bay, only a thousand kilometres up Greenland’s west coast.They could feed themselves by farming and fishing, but it was the ivory that paid for all the things they needed to import from Europe (timber, iron and bronze, stained glass, etc.). Up to 5,000 people lived in the Greenland settlements for more than four centuries, apparently quite happy to ignore ‘Vinland’ – and then they disappeared.

Where they went or how they died has been promoted as a great mystery, but the real reason is probably that the bottom dropped out of the European market for ivory in the early 15th century as abundant new supplies became available from Africa and Russia’s new Arctic settlements.

The climate had also turned against the Greenland Norse (the ‘Little Ice Age’), so they most likely just upped stakes and moved back to Iceland, or even to Norway. No massacre, no famine, just a change in the trade routes. It’s not always dramatic.

Continue Reading


Anwar: Not Malaysia’s Mandela, but something more



By Krishantha Prasad Cooray

Something extraordinary happened in Malaysia this week. After a bitterly fought general election with no clear winner, the King had the wisdom and the courage to appoint Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim as Malaysia’s 10thPrime Minister. To those observing from the outside, it was a remarkable sight. So, one can only imagine the gravity of the moment from the point of view of Malaysia’s new Prime Minister.

Anwar Ibrahim travelled to Istana Negara for the ceremony on Thursday from Sungai Long with his wife, the accomplished and independently remarkable Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail, who for 24 years, has taken her husband’s crusade against corruption and bigotry in Malaysia and made it her own. When Anwar was imprisoned, she stood in for him and embodied his cause with an authenticity and ferocity that saw her become Malaysia’s first ever female opposition leader.

When they arrived at the ceremony, one of the many dignitaries assembled for Anwar’s swearing in was Malaysia’s Chief Justice, Tun Tengku Maimun Tuan Mat, the first woman to hold that office, who herself has long stood out as a judge with little patience for corruption or abuse of power. Whether in the MDB appeals or in holding firm against other powerful special interests, she has embodied the kind of judicial independence for which Anwar has fought.

As Anwar, the Prime Minister in waiting, took the instrument of his appointment into his hand and began reciting his oaths, he must have felt the weight of every word he swore of the pledge he has long dreamt of taking. Perhaps no Malaysian politician has distinguished himself on the world stage as Anwar did as Malaysia’s finance minister between 1991 and 1998.

His outstanding performance in transforming the Malaysian economy and navigating the perils of the 1997 financial crisis, while lauded across the globe, threatened entrenched interests, leading not just to his sacking and repeated imprisonment, but to a systematic 24-year long campaign to tear him down, destroy his name, and vanquish the causes of good governance and egalitarianism that he stood for. It was a campaign that was almost comical in its corruption.

Beginning in September 1998, every time it ever looked like Anwar was raising his head and might score a major political victory, either an arrest, a court ruling, gerrymandering or some other element of state machinery interceded to intercept him and keep him from power.

His multiple imprisonments on what the world agrees are trumped up charges are well known, as is the black eye bestowed on him by the fists of Malaysia’s chief of police. However, it is often forgotten that his Pakatan Rakyat won a 51.4% majority of the popular vote at GE13 in 2013, “losing” the election in practice only because of the first past the post electoral system by which the votes were apportioned. Whatever else Malaysia’s elite entrenched special interests disagreed about, they all seemed to agree on one thing: stopping Anwar at all costs.

Most of those who sacrificed their conscience and integrity over the years to keep Anwar down are now out of the spotlight, shunned by the electorate, recognised for their crimes by the judiciary, or cast aside by their political handlers once their utility expired. None were present in the corridors of power at the royal ceremony last Thursday to witness the totality of their failure.

It was heartening to see the local markets react to Anwar’s appointment with the biggest rally they have shown in two years, and to see the world market respond through the Ringit seeing its best day in the currency market since 2016. As Anwar prioritises tackling the skyrocketing cost of living for ordinary Malaysians in the backdrop of a looming global recession, these signals of confidence are a promising sign.

As he begins to combat poverty while forming his cabinet and steering a fragile coalition, the new Prime Minister will have to grapple with bringing about good governance, combatting corruption and ensuring judicial independence. With corruption as deep-rooted as Anwar himself has charged, he should expect and be prepared to combat the fiercest opposition and subterfuge. To those who live on graft, this is not just a matter of policy. They stand to lose everything, their livelihood and their liberty, if he succeeds.

It is difficult to argue against anti-corruption initiatives or transparency in government, so his opponents will try, as they did throughout his time in the opposition, to paint Anwar as an outsider, unpatriotic, anti-Malay, anti-Islam. It will be up to Anwar and those around him to ensure that from the bully pulpit of the Prime Minister’s office, he can show a larger swath of Malaysians who he is and unite them.

Anwar has the most essential quality of a unifying politician, in that he is a “we” politician and not a “me” politician. Notwithstanding the formidable cult of personality that has been built around him, he is quick to redirect any personal praise or flattery by sharing credit with others and putting them in the spotlight and doing so with a humility and sincerity that endears him to other leaders.

While Anwar Ibrahim is fond of calling himself a ‘village boy’ due to his affection for the simplest pleasures of life, there is nothing simple about his pedigree. He was born with UMNO in his blood, with an UMNO parliamentarian for a father and political organiser for a mother. He is accused of being anti-Malay for his egalitarian politics, even though his entire undergraduate education was devoted to the study of Malay culture, history and literature. The idea that he would oppose the legitimate interests of Malays is unthinkable.

So it is important that he succeed as Prime Minister where he failed as a candidate, in persuading more Malay people that they have nothing to fear from him. In fact, their interests are better served by a level playing field that would enable them to thrive and compete not just in the shelter of the cosy, subsidised affirmative action bubbles that other parties have tried to woo them with, but in the world at large.

Anwar’s in-depth study of the Bible does not make him any less devout a Muslim, but a stronger, more confident one. An unapologetic ally of the Palestinian people, Anwar’s opposition to the suffering imposed by Israelis on Palestinians is only sharpened, not blunted, by his assertion of Israel’s right to exist. He is confident in who he is. Even torture, and years spent in the darkest depths of solitary confinement in a gruesome prison cell were not able to make him waver in his values or political principles.

It is already evident that Anwar’s appointment has raised Malaysia’s standing in the world. Several governments who either vocally or privately protested the way he was treated over the last quarter century have responded to his appointment with a new vigor and eagerness to engage with Malaysia and deepen political and economic ties with the country. Anwar demonstrated in opposition that he has a gift for advocating for Malaysia on the world stage. As Prime Minister, this is a gift that will serve him in good stead.

Wherever they sit on the political spectrum, no Malaysian could deny the sincerity that Anwar brought to his first press conference on Thursday following his appointment. He means to do the job, and do it well, responding thoughtfully and obediently to the King’s direction to form a unity government. He has clearly taken to heart the words of the monarch that “those who won did not win everything, and those who lost did not lose everything.”

The lesson in that message for every politician is that Malaysians are sick and tired of political knife fighting, of “moves”, from Kajang moves to Sheraton moves. No doubt some confederacy of politicians are already plotting the next creative ‘move’ to bring Anwar down, but they may find themselves outmatched by history.

Pundits have quipped that Anwar’s journey this week was one of “prison to palace”, forgetting that he earned that particular honour on 16 May 2018, when he was released from prison and had to deal with the dizzying experience of being driven directly to the palace for an audience with then Yang di-Pertuan Agong Muhammad V. He has been dubbed Malaysia’s “Nelson Mandela” as both men were imprisoned for their politics and came to power soon after. But such reductions do little service to Anwar, whose time in prison, as horrific as it was, is not what defines him or best qualifies him to govern Malaysia in such perilous times.

Prime Minister Anwar was born Malay and has always been a devout Muslim. Unlike the African Mandela in white apartheid South Africa, Anwar was born to power. And he was not directly elected to his office by a clear majority as Mandela was, but instead, Anwar was appointed Prime Minister after no one won a majority. He is not Malaysia’s Mandela, or Malaysia’s Barack Obama. But history has examples more fitting of Anwar’s pedigree, principles and intellect.

There was another politician once, who, like Anwar, had the privilege of sailing into politics through an established political party. That politician too, like Anwar, was from the majority community, but over time grew to vocally oppose discriminatory policies and helped form a new political party. That politician too, like Anwar, was an accomplished orator and compelling communicator. And he did not directly win nomination for the American presidency in May 1860. Instead, he was selected following much debate after no candidate secured a clear majority. And just like Anwar will have to do in the coming days, President Abraham Lincoln had to assemble a broad coalition, a team of rivals, to get his country through the most perilous of times.

Prime Minister Anwar shares other qualities with America’s most revered President. Lincoln too was known for having little patience for pettiness, and to extend a hand of friendship to sworn rivals. The American President’s devotion to his children was also legendary. Anwar rarely responds to questions about his ordeal in prison without sharing his anguish that his five daughters and only son had to endure in watching their father suffer and be persecuted.

Having either taught or studied at schools of the calibre of Oxford, Georgetown and Johns Hopkins, an astute student of history such as Prime Minister Anwar has no doubt already drawn some of these parallels and knows how to take the right pages out of Lincoln’s book to thread the political needle and form a stable government. As a battle-tested politician, there is little doubt that if any Malaysian can rise to the challenge and hold together a team of rivals, it is Anwar Ibrahim.

For Anwar to truly succeed, he will have to transform Malaysian politics and bring about the paradigm shift in Malaysia’s political culture that his supporters have rallied behind for so long. Anwar may be the first Malaysian Prime Minister since independence who does not plan to leave behind a legacy for his children of titles, property, monuments or fortunes.

Anwar’s own oldest daughter, Nurul Izzah Anwar, in her congratulatory message to her father, said that the legacy she expects to be left for the next generation is not a material one, but one of “ideals, principles and values that cannot be bought or sold.” Over the last 24-years, Anwar, his family, his party, and their supporters have braved unimaginable odds to take this simple message to Malaysians.

Whatever policy compromises Anwar may have to make to assemble a stable coalition government, he, like Lincoln, will be defined by whether he is able to remain true to his core principles while governing effectively. After so many years of struggle, so many years of trying to awaken Malaysians to the future that could await them if they unleashed the potential of all Malaysians and empowered grassroots industries and businesses to thrive, Anwar will finally get a chance to show them through deeds instead of words.

Continue Reading


From Jungle To International Five-Star




Dr. Chandana (Chandi) Jayawardena DPhil
President – Chandi J. Associates Inc. Consulting, Canada
Founder & Administrator – Global Hospitality Forum

Prime Minister’s Village Re-awakening

I first met Ranasinghe Premadasa, the ninth prime minister of Sri Lanka, in 1981. He was a unique man loved by many supporters and hated by many critics. At that time, I was at the John Keells head office as the Manager – Operations of their hotel management and marketing services company. We also managed Temple Trees, the official residence of the Prime Minister and his family. Managing Temple Trees was a demanding contract.

I visited Temple Trees occasionally to support Fazal Izzadeen, a manager whom I transferred from Hotel Swanee to be in charge of the Temple Trees operation. Given the personal friendship my boss, Bobby Adams had with the Prime Minister, the Director – Operation had to be personally involved in managing this prestigious property. A perfectionist, Mr. Premadasa did not tolerate any sub-standard quality in maintenance, upkeep and cleanliness. Fazal did a great job in keeping the second family of Sri Lanka content with the services we provided, and more importantly, off our backs.

Unlike any of his predecessors, Ranasinghe Premadasa came from a family of modest means. Politically a self-made man, he was the first ‘commoner’ to become Prime Minister of Sri Lanka, breaking a 30-year tradition of the top leadership of the country being controlled by the high caste aristocracy coming from affluent families. Educated in a Christian missionary college in Colombo, Mr. Premadasa initially opted for a career as a journalist. He was a prolific writer and an electrifying orator in Sinhala. He had been keenly interested in neighbourhood welfare affairs since his youth. He became increasingly involved in municipal politics, initially as a member of the leftist, Ceylon Labour Party which led to his election to the Colombo Municipal Council at a young age of 26.

One day in early 1986, Bobby Adams entrusted a special duty to me. He called to say, “the Honourable Prime Minister will be staying at the Village, Habarana for five days, while he is busy with the 1986 Gam Udawa (Village Re-awakening) project in nearby Hingurakgoda. As I cannot be there this time, please look after him and his team of 50, including the security detail.”

Between 1979 and until his gruesome assassination by a suicide bomber while organizing a May Day demonstration in 1993, when he was the President of Sri Lanka, Mr. Premadasa led 15 annual Gam Udawa projects in different districts in rural Sri Lanka. The festivals were part of a massive, public housing and development program envisioned by him. The festivals were implemented with great efficiency, for the benefit of poor villagers, and predominantly in Sinhala Buddhist areas. Gam Udawa helped consolidate state ideologies at a time when its political and moral authority was being challenged by insurrectionary and separatist groups.

As the General Manager of the Lodge and the Village, hosting the Prime Minister for five-days was an interesting assignment. It enabled me to see the different facets of a unique personality of our times. Our team did the outdoor catering whenever the Prime Minister went to Hingurakgoda to see the progress of the project. At times, he was ruthless in dealing with the government engineers, project managers and private contractors.

He had no patience for project delays and inefficiencies. Nor did he hesitate to take senior bureaucrats to task, in public, in the presence of their subordinates. Quoting one of his idols, Jawaharlal Nehru (the first Prime Minister of India, whose autobiography was translated into Sinhala by Premadasa), he emphasised that, “I am only interested in work done and not in excuses!”

During the evening at the Village, the Prime Minister was in a more relaxed mood, and I saw a different side of his personality. At times he played football with the resort staff. He was athletic and fit. He had his dinner around 6:00 pm and then walked with our management team on the bund of the Habarana tank. His loyal and influential valet, Mohideen walked behind him with a radio playing Buddhist pirith chanting.

One early evening, during our walk, the Prime Minister looked at my wife who was pregnant, and asked her, “Did you have your dinner?” When she replied that we eat around 9:00 pm, the Prime Minister was unhappy. “In your condition, you should ideally be eating five hours before bed time.” he lectured her.Mr. Premadasa was a hard-working man who commenced his day around 4:00 am. After his early breakfast (usually string hoppers made with healthy, kurakkan (millet) and red rice flour, he would call the cabinet ministers and senior officials. They all knew his early routine and had gotten used to getting up very early to respond to the boss’s calls.

Mr. Premadasa was a big fan of the Singaporean Prime Minister, Lee Kuan Yew and his tough leadership style. He often spoke fondly about how effectively Lee Kuan Yew had developed Singapore to an unprecedented advanced level from a previously poor country which only obtained independence 14 years after Ceylon.On the last day of his visit, we were all waiting by the helipad of the Village Habarana to bid farewell to the Prime Minister. At 8:00 am sharp, he left his suite and said his goodbyes to managers and staff waiting in a long greeting line, before getting into an Air Force helicopter piloted by a squadron leader.

Mr. Premadasa was very observant. He paused for a moment and looking unhappy, picked a small, dry leaf from the floor of the helicopter. He then placed that leaf in the palm of the pilot without uttering a word. There was pin drop silence until the helicopter took off. “That’s something Lee Kuan Yew would have done too!” one of our managers told me.

My New Best Friend

From February 1, 1986, with the birth of our son, Marlon, my life changed. Our apartment in Habarana was Marlon’s first home. After my daily, lunch management meeting at the Village, I dropped in at our apartment to spend time with him. After playing a little, we both usually fell asleep for a short nap. When he started talking, Marlon commenced calling me his best friend.

In the later years, Marlon travelled to many countries with us and lived and studied in Iraq, United Kingdom, Sri Lanka, Guyana, Jamaica and Canada. He also lived in Vietnam for five years as a corporate executive of a large company. When he was in his mid-teens, I prompted him to pursue a career in hospitality, but he declined, saying that, “Thaththi, I never want to work as hard as you do in hotels!” Marlon was correct – hoteliering is certainly a demanding career, which often requires long hours of work, while sacrificing family life.

Leadership Change

I was saddened to hear that the Chairman of the John Keells Group, Mark Bostock had decided to retire. He had led the company for over 17 years, since 1969. Under his remarkable leadership, the John Keells Group evolved from a traditional company focusing on commodity and share broking to become the largest and most diverse group of companies in Sri Lanka. Today, John Keells Holdings, PLC (JKH) is Sri Lanka’s largest, listed conglomerate on the Colombo Stock Exchange. It is also the undisputed leader of the tourism and hospitality industries in the country.

Having been associated with the group’s chairman since 1972, initially through rugby football and then as a hotel manager, I was an admirer of Mark Bostock. I was extremely grateful to him for fully sponsoring my first overseas trip and training in London in 1979. In 1980 when I got married, Mark Bostock was an attesting witness. My personal friendship with him continued in 1984 when my family was invited to visit his family in their home in Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, for an overnight stay. Later in 1985, he supported re-hiring me to John Keells to manage their two largest hotels (The Lodge and The Village) as the General Manager.

An emotional farewell to a visionary leader

During his last visit to Habarana as the Chairman, he kindly accepted my invitation for Mrs. Bostock and him to plant a tree and address the employees. He shared his vision for the future, and said that, “My Deputy Chairman, David Blackler will certainly continue our good work, as the new Chairman. We have developed a strong team of Sri Lankan directors, who will take the company to a new level,” he assured.

Unfortunately, my first meeting with the new Chairman did not go well. David Blackler, who was also a Britisher like Mark Bostock, wanted some changes done immediately. He also told me that spending time as the President of two trade associations was a waste of time in my busy schedule. I was unhappy, but did not comment as I realized that with leadership change, emphasis may change. Managers need to go with the flow.

Being the General Manager of the Habarana Resort Complex was a rewarding job, but it was not overly challenging. I enjoyed the opportunity to do new things, develop an amazing team and the free rein that I had been given, up to that point. Yet, it was not fully aligned with my mid-term career plan, which was to gain five-star international management experience. I decided to keep my options as well as, my eyes open. The last memo/letter Mark Bostock sent me was motivating and I was very touched with his kind words.

Last memo/letter to me from Mark Bostock

Five-Star Offer

Mr. Steffan Pfeiffer, the General Manager of the 500-room five-star hotel, Galadari Meridien called me with another offer. It was the third time he was offering me a job in this hotel managed by the hotel company owned by Air France. “Chandana, after working here for three years, Meridien is transferring me as the General Manager of their hotel in Hong Kong. All other senior managers will continue, except four managers from one division – Food and Beverage, are leaving. I have identified you as the new lead for this division.” Steffan was trying to motivate me to make a career move.

Due to the popularity of nine food and beverage outlets and large banqueting facilities, the Food and Beverage Division of Galadari Meridian was generating over half the total revenue of the hotel. The offer was for me to be accountable for 230 employees including three expatriate managers, working in 13 departments, including kitchens.

The Food and Beverage Division of a large five-star hotel usually has four senior managers – Food & Beverage Manager, Executive Chef, Assistant Food & Beverage Manager, and the Banquet Manager. Two Frenchmen, who were the Food & Beverage Manager/Executive Assistant Manager and Executive Chef in the hotel opening team had left as well as the other two, who were senior Lankan hoteliers were about to leave Sri Lanka.

Steffan Pfeiffer offered me the opportunity to take over, and to re-organize the Food and Beverage Division. “I have recruited an excellent French Executive Chef to report to you. That is Chef Emile Castillo, who worked with me at Hotel Lanka Oberoi. You have a full control to fill the other two senior vacancies,” he explained. “I need you to meet the new Acting General Manager coming from the Meridien head office in Paris – Mr. Jean-Michel Varichon.”

“We will take you as the Acting Food & Beverage Manager and be confirmed in the position after six months, or once you have impressed the new General Manager, which I am sure that you will.” I agreed to join the Galadari Meridian on the day when Jean-Michel Varichon and Chef Emile Castillo were arriving – June 16, 1986. Steffan Pfeiffer said that he would work with me for two weeks prior to leaving for Hong Kong. I decided to leave John Keells to pursue a career with an international five-star hotel business.

Grading Time

On my last day at the Lodge and the Village, I decided to do something different. I had initiated many new things, but was not sure how the 18 managers in my teams viewed those. I developed a one-page questionnaire listing 12 general aspects of leadership and 18 other aspects we had initiated in 1985 and 1986. I requested the managers not to write their names on the questionnaires.

When I tabulated the results, I was happy to note that my team gave full marks for five elements – Planning, Delegation, Sales Promotion, Leadership Training and Statistical Analysis. The other side of the coin was that I was given poor marks for initiatives such as: Job Descriptions, Best Worker Awards, and surprisingly, the Management Trainee Program. Since 1986, every time I changed my job, I requested written feedback from the teams I managed.

Good Bye from the Lodge Team

David Blackler was surprised that I would leave the position of the General Manager of two of the best local hotels in the country to join a five-star hotel as an Acting Divisional Manager. Some of my friends were also surprised that I would leave the largest group of companies in the country, which was considered a great employer. At times, one has to follow the heart for career progress.

Over the next three years, until his retirement from John Keells in 1989, as a regular lunch customer of Colombo Club (one of the nine food and beverage outlets of Galadari Meridien), Mr David Blackler became very friendly with me. He often discussed my innovative initiatives at Galadari Meridien, especially when I mastered the art of show biz productions to increase hotel profits.

Progress with Le Meridien

Exciting new challenges awaiting me in Colombo…

Within six months of joining, I was confirmed as the Food & Beverage Manager of Galadari Meridien (from 1987, Le Meridien), and another six months later I was promoted Director of Food & Beverage, a job title unique at that time for any Lankan hotelier.

Le Meridien was very generous in developing my international hotel management career. During my two stints with them in 1980s and in 1990s, Le Meridien invested time and funds to send me as a Management Observer to their five-star hotels in Singapore, Changi Airport, Paris, Tours, London, Guadalupe, New Orleans, Toronto, and Dubai (the last two, on quality assurance mystery shopper assignments). They also sponsored my business management education with Institut International Meridien in France, where they developed promising divisional heads to become expatriate General Managers of five-star Le Meridien hotels.

In 1997, after gaining years of experience in managing seven hotels for different companies, I was chosen to convert the largest and the best hotel in the capital city of Jamaica, as Le Meridien Jamaica Pegasus Hotel. My team worked hard with the union to make this hotel become the first hotel in Americas to earn the ISO 9002 certification. In that rewarding assignment, on my request, the company sent two of Le Meridien experts to assist me with the opening – Jean-Michel Varichon from Paris and Chef Emile Castillo from New York. Small world!

In 1997, at the soft opening of Le Meridien Jamaica Pegasus Hotel. (L to R) Paddy Mitchell – MD of Le Meridien North America, John Issa – Chairman of Jamaica Pegasus Limited & SuperClubs, and P. J. Patterson – Prime Minister of Jamaica, listening to my welcome remarks.I will briefly narrate some related ‘fun’ stories in the future episodes of this column.

Dr. Chandana (Chandi) Jayawardena

has been an Executive Chef, Food & Beverage Director, Hotel GM, MD, VP, President, Chairman, Professor, Dean, Leadership Coach and Consultant. He has published 22 text books. This weekly column narrates ‘fun’ stories from his 50-year career in South Asia, the Middle East, Europe, South America, the Caribbean and North America, and his travels to 98 countries and assignments in 44 countries.

Continue Reading