Connect with us

News

Police continue to break arrest records to enforce lockdown

Published

on

By Pradeep Prasanna Samarakoon

About 830 persons had been arrested since Thursday for violating the quarantine rules despite the travel restrictions being in force countrywide and it was the highest number of arrests in a single day, DIG Ajith Rohana said yesterday

Police have been arresting a record number of persons during the last several days to enforce the countrywide lockdown.

Since Oct 30, the police have arrested 15,595 persons for violating the quarantine laws.

Also, police roadblocks are in operation at 14 exit and entry points in the Western Province alone.

Police have taken into custody 39 vehicles traveling without any reason and arrested the occupants. Among those arrested were 180 from Matale, 79 from Nikaweratiya and 72 from Colombo.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

At least 17 killed after explosion in Peshawar mosque

Published

on

By

(picture from twitter)

BBC reported that at least 17 people have been killed in an explosion at a mosque in the Pakistani city of Peshawar.

The blast happened when the mosque was packed with worshippers and more than 90 people were injured.

A section of the building was destroyed, and officials say people are buried under the rubble. Several others are being taken to local hospitals.

The cause of the explosion is unclear.

Continue Reading

News

More heavy rain ahead for New Zealand’s largest city

Published

on

By

Auckland experienced an unprecedented amount of rainfall on Friday (picture BBC)

BBC reported that residents in flood-hit northern New Zealand are bracing for more heavy rains as officials issued severe weather alerts.

At least four people have died and a state of emergency was declared in Auckland, which on Friday experienced its worst downpour on record.

Continue Reading

News

Information Dept. media release: EC Chief asks public not to be misled

Published

on

by Priyan de Silva

Chairman of the Election Commission of Sri Lanka, Nimal Punchihewa, asked to comment on a special news release, purportedly issued by the Director General of the Department of Government Information, on Sunday (29), told  The Island  that preparations for the 09 March local government elections were going ahead, as planned, and that the media statement at issue was misleading.

The media statement says: “The gazette notice with signatures of the Chairman and other members of the Election Commission required for the commencement of the Local Government election process has not been sent to the Government Press for printing.”

Punchihewa requested the public not to be misled by any misinformation being spread in an attempt to create doubts in their minds.He also  reiterated that the EC would not be deterred by any acts of intimidation.

Three of the EC members have been threatened with death by an unidentified caller to resign from their posts. They are S. B. Divaratne, M. M. Mohamed and K. P. P. Pathirana. The Opposition has accused the government of trying to sabotage the LG polls.

Continue Reading

Trending