Connect with us

news

PCoI to file contempt case against five SJB MPs in Court of Appeal

Published

on

By Shyam Nuwan Ganewatte

Chairman of the Presidential Commission of Inquiry on political victimisation, retired Supreme Court Judge Upali Abeyratne yesterday told MPs Harin Fernando, Nalin Bandara, J. C.Alawathuwela, Mayantha Dissanayake and Sujith Sanjaya that the commission had decided to file a contempt case against them in the Court of Appeal.

The PCoI Chairman announced the commission decision when the MPs appeared before the commission yesterday. The SJB MPs had been summoned based on information that they had allegedly made disparaging remarks about the PCoI while speaking to the media after making a complaint to the Bribery Commission recently.

Retired Supreme Court Judge Abeyratne said the Commission decision had been referred to the Appeal Court under the provisions of Article 10 of the Commissions Act, and Clause 105 (3) of the Constitution, naming the five MPs as respondents.

The Chairman asked the five MPs to be present before the Appeal Court once notice is served on them.

The Chairman said according to the opinion of the commission the MPs had committed an offence and their submissions could be referred to the Court of Appeal.

Additional Solicitor General Rohantha Abeysuriya, appearing for the Attorney General, said the matter should be referred to the Court of Appeal. The MPs had made defamatory statements challenging the authority of the commission and in a manner derogatory of the commission while addressing the media near the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption, Colombo 7.

Also present were SJB General Secretary MP Ranjith Madduma Bandara, MPs Dr Rajitha Senaratne, Patali Champika Ranawaka, Dr Harsha de Silva, and Thalatha Atukorale to witness yesterday’s session.

A spokesman for the commission said that following the hearing of evidence, a case was expected to be filed before the Court of Appeal at a later date on charges of contempt of the presidential commission.

Speaking to the media after the MPs appeared before the Commission, SJB General Secretary Ranjith Madduma Bandara said that a group of MPs including the five summoned by the commission yesterday had submitted a complaint to the Bribery Commission on behalf of the people as per their democratic right.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Foreign force behind Easter Sunday attacks – Sirisena

Published

on

By Rathindra Kuruwita

A powerful foreign country or an agency was behind the Easter Sunday bombings and the National Thowheed Jamaat (NTJ) leader Zaharan Hashim, former President Maithripala Sirisena yesterday told the PCoI investigating the Easter Sunday attacks.

“I also do not believe that Zaharan was the leader of that organisation. Because a leader would never have initiated a suicide attack and died during the first wave,” Sirisena said.

The former President also said that Islamic extremism had spread rapidly in the country due to the support extremists received from Muslim politicians.

Sirisena also said that the military and intelligence officials had been demoralised by harassment they suffered during the yahaalanaya administration. This was the reason why local institutions failed to uncover NTJ’s plans. “But this incident is a conspiracy because it appeared that Zaharan was being manipulated by some foreign hand,” the former President said.

The President further said that during the previous administration, UNPers had headed the Ministry of Law and Order for several years that they had significantly weakened the intelligence services. Although he had taken the Ministry of law and Order in the last stages of the yahapalana government, he had not been able to undo the damage the UNP had done in four years, the witness said.

Commissioner: “Did you know that during your tenure as President, Muslim MPs and ministers were forcible acquiring land in Vanni and Batticaloa and they were constructing Muslim villages and mosques there?”

Sirisena: “Some ministers used their political power to clear forests and cultivate lands. Some ministers were angry with me when I tried to stop them. I tried hard to control those actions. But it was difficult for me to deal with that situation. Fundamentalism rose due to the protection given by Muslim political leaders. Certain political parties are based on religion, race and language. This is disastrous. I tried to stop these people but my decisions were not implemented.”

 

 

Continue Reading

news

Bathiudeen granted bail

Published

on

Former Minister Rishad Bathiudeen was released on bail by the Fort Magistrate’s Court yesterday. Fort Magistrate Priyantha Liyanage released Bathiudeen on cash bail of Rs. 100,000 with two sureties of one million rupees each.

The Magistrate also imposed a travel ban on Bathiudeen and said that the guarantors should be his close relatives.

The Magistrate granted bail to the MP considering the risk of him contracting COVID-19 as two inmates in cells next to his had recently tested positive for coronavirus.

Bathiudeen was remanded in connection with alleged misappropriation of public funds during the last presidential election to transport voters.

The former minister has been accused of misusing 222 buses owned by the SLTB for transporting internally displaced persons from Puttalam to polling stations in Silavathurai, Mannar during the 2019 Presidential Election. Two others, Mohamed Yaseen Samsudeen and Alagarathnam Manoranjan face the same charges.

They have allegedly violated Article 82(1) of Presidential Elections Act, No. 15 of 1981 by misappropriating public funds amounting to Rs. 9.5 million.

Bathiudeen was arrested at an apartment complex at Ebenezer Place in Dehiwala in the early hours of October 19. He was then produced before the court and placed under remand custody. His bail application was also rejected by the magistrate’s court on several occasions

 

 

Continue Reading

news

Zahran supported Sirisena and SLMC at 2015 elections, Hizbullah tells PCoI

Published

on

By Rathindra Kuruwita

National Thawheed Jamaat (NTJ) and its leader Zahran Hashim supported Former President Maithripala Sirisena and the Sri Lanka Muslim Congress (SLMC) at the 2015 elections, former Eastern Province Governor M.L.A.M Hizbullah, on Tuesday night, told the PCoI probing the Easter Sunday attacks.

Hizbullah was giving evidence before the PCoI for the second day.

“Zahran supported the SLMC at the 2015 general election. After the UNP-led coalition won the election, NTJ members fought with our supporters. Several people were injured during the clash, including Zahran’s brother. SLMC leader Rauff Hakeem visited Zahran’s brother at the hospital.”

The witness also submitted a footage of a demonstration opposite NTJ Headquarters in Kattankudy. It contained a speech by Zahran, who expressed his dismay after Sirisena appointed Hizbullah as a national list MP.

“In this video, Zahran clearly says he supported Maithripala Sirisena at the 2015 presidential election. Zahran also says he sent a fax to the former President, urging him not to appoint me to Parliament.”

However, it was earlier revealed that in 2015, representatives of five recognised political parties, including the UPFA and the UNP, had signed agreements with Zahran in the run-up to the 2015 general election. Representatives of Sri Lanka Muslim Congress (SLMC,) Democratic Party, UNP, UPFA and National Front for Good Governance (NFGG), too, had signed agreements with Zahran in exchange for NTJ support, the Commission was told.

Hizbullah, on Monday, admitted that his party had also signed an agreement with the NTJ.

“Zahran told social media that he would support any politician who agreed to his proposals. All the parties joined him. I also went along.”

Continue Reading

Trending