Connect with us

News

Korean ambassador promises to smoothen out Covid bottlenecks holding up employment of SL youth

Published

on

The Korean Ambassador to Sri Lanka Woonjin Jeong has assured Foreign Minister Dinesh Gunawardena that the facilities required for the Sri Lankan youth who are eligible for employment in Korea to travel there will be provided shortly.

He was speaking at a discussion on the delays faced by young people who are eligible for jobs in Korea, chaired by Foreign Minister Dinesh Gunawardena at the Foreign Ministry on Wednesday (16). State Minister of Foreign Employment Promotion and Market Diversification Priyankara Jayaratne, Secretary to the State Minister of Foreign Employment Promotion and Market Diversification Suntharam Arumainayaham, Foreign Employment Bureau Chairman Kamal Ratwatte, Director Nimal Thibbatumunuwa and Deputy General Manager Mangala Randeniya also participated in the discussion.

The Foreign Minister pointed out that those who had qualified for jobs in Korea had been expecting to leave for jobs in Korea for a long time; however, it has been delayed day by day due to the COVID pandemic. The Minister also pointed out that they were under severe mental stress due to that.

The Korean Ambassador to Sri Lanka explained the position of the Korean Government and said that it had been planned to provide employment opportunities in Korea to all those who were eligible for employment there. He said there was a delay in providing those opportunities due to the COVID pandemic; however, assured that he was focused on sending them to Korea at the earliest available opportunity.

He also said that the Korean government was planning to assist in the development of the agricultural sector in Sri Lanka.

The discussions also focused on several matters including increase of employment opportunities for Sri Lankan youth in Korea and enhancing economic cooperation between the two countries.

 

 



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

At least 17 killed after explosion in Peshawar mosque

Published

on

By

(picture from twitter)

BBC reported that at least 17 people have been killed in an explosion at a mosque in the Pakistani city of Peshawar.

The blast happened when the mosque was packed with worshippers and more than 90 people were injured.

A section of the building was destroyed, and officials say people are buried under the rubble. Several others are being taken to local hospitals.

The cause of the explosion is unclear.

Continue Reading

News

More heavy rain ahead for New Zealand’s largest city

Published

on

By

Auckland experienced an unprecedented amount of rainfall on Friday (picture BBC)

BBC reported that residents in flood-hit northern New Zealand are bracing for more heavy rains as officials issued severe weather alerts.

At least four people have died and a state of emergency was declared in Auckland, which on Friday experienced its worst downpour on record.

Continue Reading

News

Information Dept. media release: EC Chief asks public not to be misled

Published

on

by Priyan de Silva

Chairman of the Election Commission of Sri Lanka, Nimal Punchihewa, asked to comment on a special news release, purportedly issued by the Director General of the Department of Government Information, on Sunday (29), told  The Island  that preparations for the 09 March local government elections were going ahead, as planned, and that the media statement at issue was misleading.

The media statement says: “The gazette notice with signatures of the Chairman and other members of the Election Commission required for the commencement of the Local Government election process has not been sent to the Government Press for printing.”

Punchihewa requested the public not to be misled by any misinformation being spread in an attempt to create doubts in their minds.He also  reiterated that the EC would not be deterred by any acts of intimidation.

Three of the EC members have been threatened with death by an unidentified caller to resign from their posts. They are S. B. Divaratne, M. M. Mohamed and K. P. P. Pathirana. The Opposition has accused the government of trying to sabotage the LG polls.

Continue Reading

Trending