Connect with us

News

JVP beats anti-India war drums over oil tank farm deal

Published

on

By Sirimantha Ratnasekera

JVP last week called on people, civil society and religious organisations to line up with them to defeat what it termed as India’s expansionist plans by taking over Trincomalee oil tank farm.

“We have no problem with Indian people. We do not deny the fact that two nations have millennia long links. We have diplomatic relations and cultural links with India since time immemorial. Yet we cannot let the Indian government’s plans to capture Trinco oil tank farm and allow it to succeed its expansionist plans,” JVP Politburo Member and former MP Sunil Handunnetti said addressing a press conference held at the party headquarters in Pelawatte.

He said that the Trinco oil tank farm had been constructed there by the British during the time of the Second World War owing to its Geo-strategic value. “The oil tank farm gains its value owing to its proximity to the Trincomalee harbour which is known as the second-best natural harbour in the world. India somehow manipulated the incumbent government to finalize a deal to hand over the oil tank farm to them. As per the deal 14 tanks for India, 24 for Sri Lanka and 61 tanks to be developed jointly. Of those 61 tanks, 49 percent ownership would be for India. Accordingly, India gets 30 tanks from that lot. With 14 exclusively own tanks, India gets 44. Since we do not have dollars to renovate the rest of the tanks, it would be a matter of time before they too would end up in India’s hands. The agreement of this deal is to be valid till 2072.

“The government has been compelled to sign this agreement. It is Déjà vu of the Indo-Lanka agreement which was pushed down the throat of Lanka on July 29, 1987. India got the JR Jayewardene government to sign the agreement by coercion. They dropped ‘parippu’ here, violating our air space. They sent an army of 150,000 while Sri Lanka’s army had only 72,000 cadre strength. This time they have used economic means for the coercion.

“India had been planning to get hold of Trinco oil tank farm for decades now. In 2002, they proposed to construct a bridge between Dhanushkody and Talaimannar. There is a plan to link Talaimannar with Trincomalee A 12 road via Mannar, Periyankulam A 30 Road, Vavuniya, Kebitigollewa, Horowpathana A 9 road. The then Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and Indian transport minister studied that plan. However, it was suspended owing to political changes. Yet India has not stopped its plans to get hold of Trinco oil tank farm. This is a serious issue and we call on religious leaders and civil societies to line up with us to defeat this government handing over Trinco oil tank farm to India. We call on public to join us against this plan to remove the Lion flag from Trincomalee and to hoist the Indian flag there,” Handunnetti said.

He said that Lankan politicians should read American economic historian Dr Daniel Yergin’s Pulitzer Prize winning book ‘The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power’. “Time to time this book’s new editions are released and sold worldwide because it is so authoritative. This is like the Mahavamsa of energy industry. It identifies energy how some countries use energy to control other nations. At this rate we are being subjugated as a nation before India, it seems that soon the book will have a new chapter on how India tamed Sri Lanka using energy.”

The former MP said that there would have been no queues outside fuel stations if the Trincomalee Oil Tanks were repaired. “The tanks could have been repaired, even by borrowing funds from other countries. The Government would not have had to close down the Sapugaskanda refinery if the oil tanks were functioning properly, as India wants to build a new refinery at the place. It is us Lankans, who should want to build a refinery. Then we would not be impacted by the oil prices in the world market. We can sell oil to the Maldives. Then we have oil within our region, we have gas deposits in Mannar.”

Adding that India is a large region, Handunnetti that this proposed oil refinery would have been of great importance when Sri Lankans have found gas, and the citizens will not have to stay in line if the oil refinery stays within Sri Lanka’s control.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Dhammika asks Ranil to resign as FM

Published

on

By Rathindra Kuruwita

Minister of Investment Promotion, Dhammika Perera, yesterday told the media, in Colombo, that Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe had to resign from his post as Finance Minister.

Minister Perera said that the Prime Minister was blocking all dollar earnings, borrowings, bridging finance, available essential food credit lines and other credit lines.

“I am joining the Aragalaya from today. I have been in the government for seven days. I have seen what happens. The Prime Minister must stop his political game as the Minister of Finance,” he said.

Perera added that Wickremesinghe had no plan to boost the cash flow, about feeding people, or bringing in dollars.

The Minister of Investment Promotion said that instead of describing the people’s economic woes, the Finance Ministry had to find solutions.

“For example, the proposal to give investors 10-year multiple visas was finalised some time ago. One month has since elapsed, but the Treasury is sitting on it. This is because Ranil is in the habit of stopping projects if they bring in dollars. More than 50 people have come to get the visa by paying 100,000 USD.

About 300 more are on the list. We can bring in 30 million dollars to Sri Lanka, this month, with the help of this visa scheme. Sri Lanka’s Finance Minister is inviting disaster,” Minister Perera said.

Perera added that while Wickremesinghe could continue as the Prime Minister, but as the Finance Minister, the latter had no desire to resolve the foreign currency crisis. All of Sri Lanka’s economic woes are linked to the dollar shortage, he said.

“I challenge Ranil and his economic experts to an open media debate. Maybe he can answer my questions. I challenged him to a debate in 2019, and he ran away. I am challenging him again,” Minister Perera said.

Continue Reading

News

JVP Leader accuses govt. of hatching plot against his party

Published

on

By Saman Indrajith

JVP leader Anura Kumara Dissanayake yesterday said that the government was planning to suppress his party by levelling false allegations against the latter.

Addressing the media at the party headquarters, Pelawatte, Dissanayake said that the plot hatched by the government could lead to bloodshed.

“A video has been released, on social media, instructing how to make Molotov Cocktails. The voice, in the footage, instructs the viewer to make bombs in a similar manner, and tie them to their bodies and explode themselves at the President’s House. The video says that after the explosion I would be appointed the President. Anyone would know that the JVP would not do anything stupid like that. This video is another attempt by the government to justify the use of violence against its critics. There have been similar instances in the past and this country has suffered heavily as a result,” Dissanayake said.

He said that his party lawyers would submit the video to the CID and demand an investigation from the police on who had created and uploaded it to social media. “There is a massive protest to be held in Colombo centering the Galle Face Aragalaya.

“We, too, will participate in it. The government’s response to the protests is to use the police and the army. In addition there are several other developments, including the creation of a para-military force against us. Each SLPP MP is given a chance to recruit five persons, loyal to him or her, as home guards to provide security to the MP. There was a letter from the IGP to Defence Secretary warning of possible bomb attacks. Our party’s name is there in that warning. I have queried this letter in Parliament, too, yet there is no explanation yet. It is in the same context some MPs have requested for personal firearms from the Defence Ministry. Taken together, these developments could indicate the plans of government suppression and what is there in store for us. We do not think that they could fool the people with these tricks. The CID is capable of investigating and finding the sources of any video against the President, in social media, within 24 hours. So we expect the same expedient action would be taken with regard to our complaint, too,” Dissanayake said.

He said that the JVP was prepared to stabilize the country and help bring it out of the current crisis in a short period of time.

Dissanayake said the JVP does not intend to do it alone and was confident that the citizens of the country, and Lankans overseas, would extend their support to the party for this purpose.

“This crisis cannot be resolved by changing posts or individuals, and especially not through a government that has lost the trust of the people,” he added.

When inquired about Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe’s statement in Parliament on his willingness to step down to allow Dissanayake to implement his economic plans, the MP said he was prepared to take up the task.

He said, however, that the President and Prime Minister must resign if he were to take up the challenge and implement JVP’s programme to save the country from the crisis.

Continue Reading

News

Move to set-up smoke-free zones: PHI union says member engaged in project harassed; Ministry says action in line with establishment code

Published

on

by Ifham Nizam

Public Health Inspectors’ Union has accused a section of the Health Ministry officials of working against a project to establish smoke-free zones in Sri Lanka.

The union alleged that a PHI who served the anti-tobacco campaign and went to the extent of sacrificing his personal leave for the same had been denied annual increments.

It said that the National Authority on Tobacco and Alcohol (NATA) organised a project, under the auspices of the World Health Organization (WHO), to set up at least one smoke-free zone in each Medical Officer of Health Division countrywide. The union said that it played a significant role in the project.

The union alleged that PHI T. G. S. L. Prakash, of the Principal Public Health Inspectors’ Unit of the Ministry of Health, had been invited as a resource person as he innovated a 10-step process for establishing smoke-free zones for combatting second hand smoke.

However, the Deputy Director General (Public Health Services) of the Ministry of Health Dr. S. M. Arnold had obstructed the project by blocking Prakash’s participation, the union alleged.

Responding to The Island queries, Dr. S. M. Arnold said that he acted in terms of the Establishment Code and recommendations made by the relevant committee. Dr. Arnold said that the PHI concerned applied for leave for his PhD on Elephant Ecology study overseas, and work-related to NATA did not come under their purview. Dr. Arnold pointed out that the PHI Union President was also working for NATA.

Public Health Inspectors’ Union, President. Upul Rohana has previously asked the Health Secretary to conduct an investigation into the conduct of Dr. S. M. Arnold. According to the union for more than five years, PHI Prakash has conducted various research on the establishment of smoke-free zones in collaboration with NATA and the WHO and published and presented the research results at local and international fora.

The union said that the Chairman of NATA had requested that PHI Prakash to participate in the project as the outfit could benefit from his experience and expertise he had gained overseas in tobacco prevention.

The union claimed that the PHI concerned had participated in the project utilising his personal leave. The union alleged that Dr. Arnold had said that he wouldn’t recommend the annual salary increment for the particular PHI Prakash as his attendance was unsatisfactory.

PHI Chief Rohana emphasised that the concerned Deputy Director General continued to harass the officers who volunteered for their duties, abusing the power of his positio. He said although the union had complained to the health authorities, no action has been taken in that regard so far and their union would not hesitate to resort to trade union action seeking justice.

Continue Reading

Trending