Latest News
Iran denies its drones hit airport in Azerbaijan’s exclave as war widens
A Iranian drone attack has targeted Azerbaijan’s autonomous Nakhchivan exclave, opening yet another front in the ongoing war launched y the United States and Israel and the retaliation from Tehran, according to Azeri authorities.
Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that the incident occurred at about 12 noon (08:00 GMT) on Thursday.
“One drone struck the terminal building of the airport in the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic, while another drone fell near a school building in the village of Shakarabad,” the ministry said.
“We strongly condemn these drone attacks launched from the territory of the Islamic Republic of Iran.”
It added that the attack injured two civilians and caused material damage at the airport.
The ministry demanded “a clear explanation” from Iran and said the country “reserves the right to take appropriate response measures”.
It has summoned Iranian Ambassador Mojtaba Demirchilou over the incident.
Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi later denied that the country had targeted Azerbaijan.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran has not targeted the Republic of Azerbaijan,” said Gharibabadi in comments carried by Iran’s Tasnim news agency. “We do not target our neighbouring countries.”
“Iran’s policy is only to strike the military bases of its enemies” that are active in the region and used to attack Iran, including those of the US and Israel, he added.
Nakhchivan, bordering Iran and Turkiye, was part of a historic US brokered peace deal signed last year between former deadly foes Armenia and Azerbaijan.
The land corridor, dubbed the “Trump Route for International Peace and Prosperity” (TRIPP), gave the US development rights for the proposed route connecting Azerbaijan to its Nakhchivan exclave and creating a passage between Armenia and Azerbaijan.
Iran has long opposed the planned transit route, also known as the Zangezur corridor, fearing it would cut the country off from Armenia and the rest of the Caucasus while bringing potentially hostile foreign forces close to its borders.
Al Jazeera’s Resul Serdar said, “Iran has long been accusing the Azeri government of turning Azerbaijan into an Israeli spy base.”
“They are accusing [Azerbaijani President] Ilham Aliyev of undermining Iran’s security from its northern border,” Serdar added. “Iran said multiple times that if Azerbaijan did not stop, it would be punished.”
Serdar said Thursday’s drone strikes were sending a clear message to the Azeri government. “Iran is engaging in a conflict with neighbouring countries,” he said, adding, “the Gulf, Turkiye and now Azerbaijan.”
[Aljazeera]
Latest News
Suicide car bomb attack on train in Pakistan kills at least 24
A suicide car bomb attack on a train carrying soldiers in Quetta, the capital of the southwestern Pakistani province of Balochistan, has killed at least 24 people and wounded more than 50 others.
The Balochistan Liberation Army, a separatist group, has claimed responsibility for Sunday’s attack.
Reporting from the scene, Al Jazeera’s Kamal Hyder said several houses and buildings adjacent to the railway line were severely damaged. The blast caused some train carriages to overturn and catch fire.
According to local media reports, a state of emergency was declared at public hospitals in Quetta, with doctors and other medical staff ordered to remain on duty.
Footage shared online showed charred vehicles and train carriages lying on their sides, sending thick plumes of black smoke into the sky.
Hyder said Pakistan has experienced several attacks by separatist groups in recent months. The attacks have increased in ferocity and have also targeted Chinese workers due to opposition to Beijing’s infrastructure projects in Balochistan, he added. Under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor, China’s Xinjiang region has been connected to Pakistan’s Gwadar port.
Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has condemned the attack in a post on X.
“Such cowardly acts of terrorism cannot weaken the resolve of the people of Pakistan. We remain steadfast in our determination to eliminate terrorism in all its forms and manifestations,” he said.
[Aljazeera]
Latest News
Landslide Early Warnings issued to the Districts of Colombo,Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura
The National Building Research Organisation [NBRO] has issued landslide early warnings to the Districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura effective from 1700 hrs today [24th May 2026] to 1700 hrs on Monday [25th May 2026].
Accordingly,
LEVEL II [AMBER] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Dehiowita, Deraniyagala, Ruwanwella and Yatiyanthota in the Kegalle district and Kuruwita, Ratnapura, Ayagama and Eheliyagoda in the Ratnapura district.
LEVEL I [YELLOW] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Seethawaka and Padukka in the Colombo district, Attanagalla in the Gampaha district, Palindanuwara, Mathugama, Bulathsinhala, Agalawatta, Ingiriya and Horana in the Kalutara district, Bulathkohupitiya in the Kegalle district, Ambagamuwa in the Nuwara Eliya district and Kiriella, Pelmadulla, Nivithigala, Elapatha and Kalawana in the Ratnapura district.
Latest News
Suspect killed after shooting at Secret Service agents, officials confirm
A person has been shot and killed after they opened fire outside the White House, the US Secret Service has confirmed.
Here is their statement in full:
Shortly after 6 p.m Saturday an individual in the area on 17th street and Pennsylvania Avenue pulled a weapon from his bag and began firing.
Secret Service police returned fire striking the suspect who was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced deceased. During the shooting one bystander was also struck by gunfire.
No injuries were sustained by officers. The President was in the White House during the incident, however no protectees or operations were impacted.
This incident remains under investigation and additional information will be released as it becomes available.
Suspect identified, had previous ‘run-in’ with Secret Service – CBSpublished at 07:45
The deceased suspect in the shooting outside the White House has been identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, a person familiar with the investigation has told BBC’s US media partner CBS.
The source said that the suspect had already been arrested by the US Secret Service in July 2025 after he tried to gain entry to the White House, and he was sent to a psychiatric ward for mental health issues in the aftermath.
(BBC)
-
Features5 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Opinion4 days agoMurder of Ehelepola family, Bogambara Wewa and Sightings of Wangediya
-
News4 days agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
Sports5 days agoSri Lanka women’s volleyball team ready for Central Asian challenge
-
Editorial4 days agoA play without its protagonist
-
Midweek Review5 days agoOverall SLPP failures stressed in new Aragalaya narrative
-
Opinion3 days agoThe need to reform Buddhist ecclesiastical order
-
Features16 hours agoThe NPP’s pivot to the past
