Connect with us

News

Indian police find Link between Coimbatore car cylinder explosion, 1998 serial blasts, Lanka Easter bombings

Published

on

A probe into a recent cylinder blast, in a car, in Coimbatore, has revealed a link with the serial blasts that happened in the Tamil Nadu city, 24 years ago, and the 2019 Easter bombings in Sri Lanka, an Indian media report said.The report published by The Federal said: In 1998, 58 people had died in serial blasts in Coimbatore and more than 200 were injured. The explosions had targeted then national president of the BJP, LK Advani, in the aftermath of the Babri Masjid demolition.

In Sri Lanka, more than 250 people were killed in the Easter bombings in 2019.On 23 October, 75-kg of explosives, including potassium nitrate, were seized from the residence of 29-year-old Jameesha Mubeen who was killed after a gas cylinder exploded in a car he was travelling, in Coimbatore. Mubeen is suspected to have played a key role in a conspiracy bid to carry out sabotage activities.

Investigation by the special team, in Coimbatore, said Mubeen was not a suicide bomber, and he did not know how to handle explosives. “He was not keeping well. In fact, he had suicidal thoughts. But he probably never planned to kill himself in a blast,” a police officer, who is part of the investigation, told The Federal.People who knew Mubeen said that he did not have many friends and mostly kept aloof. Until 2019, he was working at a book shop and later, he was asked to leave after the NIA raided his house, at GM Nagar, in Ukkadam.

Later, he started to make a living by selling old clothes. “He used to get old shirts for INR 5-10, and have them dry-cleaned, which would cost INR10-15. Then, he would pack them and sell them on the platforms and in markets for a cheaper price. That is how he was making a living for all these years,” said a relative of Mubeen.According to police, Mubeen and others had planned terror attacks, in Coimbatore, in at least five places.

“He had collected chemicals, used in country-made bombs. Mubeen, along with a few others, was seen shifting things from his house. So, it was understood that they had planned the attack, but the target was different,” a senior police official, who is part of the investigation, told The Federal.

“During the search, we recovered a piece of paper in which Mubin had written down the names of five places. These might have been his targets. These five places were the police commissioner’s office, the collector’s office, the railway station, the race course, and Victoria town hall,” the official said.

According to the Tamil Nadu Police, one of the six accused in the explosion case, confessed, during interrogation, that he met two men in a Kerala prison who had links with an ISIS group involved in the Easter bombings in Sri Lanka.Feroze Ismail confessed that he had met Mohammed Azharuddin and Rashid Ali, lodged in a prison in the neighbouring state, and further questioning is on to ascertain the motive behind the meeting, they said. Azharuddin and Ali are in jail in connection with a case against them in the neighbouring state.

Five accused were taken to their houses and searches were carried out, police said. Police have arrested five people who had been in contact with Mubeen, and charged them under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. Mubeen was under the NIA radar in 2019 in the aftermath of the Easter bomb blasts in Sri Lanka, but no case was filed against him, police said.

A link between the 1998 serial blasts and the recent cylinder explosion has emerged with the terror organisation Al-Ummah. One of the six arrested now – Mohammed Thalka or Dalqa is the son of Al-Ummah chief Syed Ahmed Basha’s brother, Nawab Khan, who is in prison now serving a life term and 27 years of rigorous imprisonment in connection with the 1998 serial blasts.On Friday, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) registered a case to probe the cylinder blast.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Embassy officer arrested at BIA remanded

Published

on

By

The Embassy official who was attached to the Sri Lanka Embassy in Oman who is accused of being involved in a human trafficking racket was arrested by officers of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and remanded till the 13th of December when he was produced before the Colombo Chief Magistrate

The official was arrested on his arrival at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) this morning (29 November).

Continue Reading

News

Easter Sunday terror attack suspect hacked to death

Published

on

By Norman Palihawadane

A 38-year-old Easter Sunday terror attack suspect was hacked to death yesterday morning (28) in Mattakkuliya.

The victim, Mohamed Badurdeen Mohamed Harnas, was a resident of Safiya Avenue, Mattakkuliya, police said.

A suspect in the Easter Sunday terror attacks, he had been released on bail.

The suspect was rushed to the National Hospital, Colombo, after three individuals, who arrived in a car around 10. 00 am, attacked him.

Two persons attacked the man while the other was keeping the car engine running, according to eyewitnesses. The attackers thereafter fled in the same car.

Harnas was pronounced dead on admission to hospital.

Further investigations in this regard are currently underway.

The victims family members said that Harnas had been taken into custody, following the 2019 Easter Sunday attacks, but later released as there was no evidence of his involvement in terrorist activities.

Continue Reading

News

Rail service between Mahawa and Jaffna to be suspended for five months

Published

on

Transport Minister Bandula Gunawardena told Parliament yesterday that the railway services between Mahawa and Jaffna will be suspended for a period of five months in 2023.

The Minister said that operations will be suspended from January 15, 2023.

The Minister said it was to repair work on the railway line.

He said so in response to a question raised by Vanni District MP Selvam Adaikalanathan.

“We are focusing our attention on the request made by you. We have to halt railway operations between Mahawa and Jaffna for five months from January 2023. Train services have been continuously operating to Jaffna, but now we have faced a situation as we have not been able to carry out any repair work thus far,” the Minister said.

Assuring that this issue can be rectified in five months, Minister Gunawardane said that, thereafter, a good railway service can be provided for this route.

Continue Reading

Trending