Connect with us

news

Gajaba Regiment present Military Salute to Gen. Shavendra Silva

Published

on

Gajaba Regiment Troops presented a Military Salute to Chief of Defence Staff and Army Commander, Shavendra Silva, who was promoted to the rank of a four-star General, at the Army Headquarters in conformity with military traditions on Thursday.

He was elevated in rank by President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces on December 28 for his services to the nation, together with the Secretary Defence, Major General (Retd) Kamal Gunaratne.

The glittering military event began as General Shavendra Silva’s ceremonial motorcade reached the main entrance to the Commander’s Secretariat to be greeted to an elegant Guard Turnout salute, a formal military feature, presented by Gajaba Regiment troops after Colonel Indika Perera, Commanding Officer, HQ Battalion at the Army Headquarters received him.

Major General Prabath Dematanpitiya, Chief of Staff, extended a warm reception to the promoted Army Chief in turn and invited him to review the Guard-of-Honour parade, presented by two Officers and 48 Other Ranks of the Gajaba Regiment, along with Regimental colours.

As marching melodies began rending the air, General Shavendra Silva, together with the parade commander and accompanying Chief of Staff reviewed the colourful parade and proceeded to the special dais before taking the Guard of Honour salute, which signifies a mark of recognition and seniority of rank.

General Shavendra Silva called upon all to join hands to further foster the image of the organization and contribute to the nation-building tasks in a more vibrant manner.

“Promotion in the forces is not only a show of confidence and acknowledgment of hard work, but it is also proof that the Sri Lanka Army is an evolving professional institution, making it an attractive career”, General Shavendra Silva remarked.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Cardinal: Was there any link between passage of 20A and Easter Sunday probe outcome?

Published

on

… stands by his claim of foreign involvement

By Norman Palihawadana

Archbishop of Colombo Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith yesterday said that there could be a connection between the outcome of the probe into the Easter Sunday attacks and the enlisting of Muslim MPs’ support for the passage of the 20th Amendment.

The Cardinal said: “The leader of a Muslim political party voted against the 2Oth Amendment. But his MPs voted for it. The brother of Rishad Bathiudeen too was released around the same time. These are questionable developments. These events could be part of a deal.”

The Cardinal reiterated that international forces were behind the Easter Sunday attacks and that he did not believe that there had been any local political group directly involved in the Easter attacks.

Addressing the media yesterday, the Cardinal said that the remarks he made on Sunday had been misunderstood. He stood by his claim that international forces had been behind the attacks, he said.

“However, some people claim that I said a local political group was behind the attack. I have always maintained that there are international forces that use religious and ethnic extremists such as Wahabists to create conflicts. I was referring to such groups.”

The Cardinal added that only a small group of Muslims was involved in extremism.

The Archbishop also said that former President Maithripala Sirisena believed that taking action against extremists like NTJ leader Zahran Hashim would create unnecessary issues.

“Something along these lines is also in the PCoI on Easter Sunday attacks. The report also implies that the then Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe was lenient in dealing with growing extremism in Sri Lanka.”

The Cardinal urged the government to protect the country and ensure that there would be no repeats of incidents like the Easter Sunday attacks.

The Archbishop of Colombo requested all religious leaders to work on rebuilding trust among all communities.

 

 

Continue Reading

news

AG appeals to Supreme Court against granting of bail to Ravi, others

Published

on

The Attorney General yesterday appealed to the Supreme Court against bail for former Minister Ravi Karunanayake and seven others indicted in the bond case by the Colombo Special High Court Trial-at-Bar.

The eight accused were arrested and remanded over the bond scams. Later, they were released on bail.

The court warned that if the accused attempted to exert influence on the witnesses, by any means, bail would be revoked and they would be placed on remand until the end of the trial.

 

 

Continue Reading

news

26 more coronavirus cases detected in Jaffna Tirunelveli market area

Published

on

Another 26 COVID-19 cases had been detected on Sunday, from the Tirunelveli Market in Jaffna, which was the epicentre of the recent outbreak in the town, Dr. A. Kethiswaran, Regional Director Health Services told the media yesterday.

The market and its surroundings had been reopened on April 11 following a 19-day lockdown. However, 378 PCR tests were conducted after the Sinhala and Tamil New Year and 26 of them proved positive.

Dr. Kethiswaran warned last week that there might be a spike in COVID-19 cases in Jaffna after the New Year celebrations.

A large number of COVID-19 cases had been reported in Jaffna in the past few weeks. Thus, the people should adhere to health guidelines. If people did not follow the guidelines, there would be a spike in cases and then some places would have to be lockdown, he warned.

“It’s too early to say whether we have to close the area down. We are monitoring the situation,” DR. Kethiswaran said.

Continue Reading

Trending