Connect with us

News

Foreign disaster management officers board burnt vessel for first time

Published

on

By Ifham Nizam

Three Disaster Management Officers who were sent by the owners of the Singapore-flagged stricken container ship X-Press Pearl yesterday boarded the vessel for the first time to inspect it after fire was brought under control near the Colombo harbour.

“They have to share their observations with the National Aquatic Resources Agency (NARA), Central Environmental Authority (CEA), Marine Environment Pollution Authority (MEPA) and International Maritime Organisation, etc.,” a senior official said.

All tugs belonging to Sri Lanka Shipping Containers had now been  removed, an official said.  

Meanwhile, a team including officials from the Maritime Safety Authority had visited the ‘Explosive Pearl’ yesterday, a senior official said.

Sri Lanka Navy yesterday said it had deployed nine divers to investigate a suspected water leak in the stern area of the container ship.

Navy Spokesperson Captain Indika de Silva told journalists that the fire onboard the ship had been doused.

However, he noted the engine rooms in the stern were flooded and thus a tilt to the rear was observed.

Fire on the ship had been brought under control and a report on the ship is to be received from the officers who boarded the ship, said the Marine Environment Protection Authority official.

The CID yesterday completed the initial inquiries and the recording of statements regarding the complaint filed over the fire on the container ship ‘X-Press Pearl’.

On Monday, CID recorded statements from the Captain, the Chief Engineer, and the Deputy Chief Engineer of the ship, at a hotel in Wellawatte.

The Island

learns that the Captain of the vessel was interrogated for nearly 14 hours while the Chief Engineer and the Deputy Chief Engineer were grilled for 13 and 12 hours.

The CID has recorded statements from seven members of the ship by yesterday and the process is continuing with the serious nature of the damage caused to the marine environment.

The collated facts regarding the incident will be promptly presented to the court, according Police Spokesman, DIG, Attorney-at-Law, Ajith Rohana.

The Sri Lanka Navy also said that no fire or oil spill had been observed from the stricken vessel so far.

However, as smoke was observed from the middle of the ship, cooling procedures were in progress.

With the public rejecting fish consumption due to the ‘X-Press Pearl’ spilling  its toxic cargo, fishermen of Negombo cooked and consumed the fish they brought ashore yesterday in a bid to restore public confidence.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

At least 17 killed after explosion in Peshawar mosque

Published

on

By

(picture from twitter)

BBC reported that at least 17 people have been killed in an explosion at a mosque in the Pakistani city of Peshawar.

The blast happened when the mosque was packed with worshippers and more than 90 people were injured.

A section of the building was destroyed, and officials say people are buried under the rubble. Several others are being taken to local hospitals.

The cause of the explosion is unclear.

Continue Reading

News

More heavy rain ahead for New Zealand’s largest city

Published

on

By

Auckland experienced an unprecedented amount of rainfall on Friday (picture BBC)

BBC reported that residents in flood-hit northern New Zealand are bracing for more heavy rains as officials issued severe weather alerts.

At least four people have died and a state of emergency was declared in Auckland, which on Friday experienced its worst downpour on record.

Continue Reading

News

Information Dept. media release: EC Chief asks public not to be misled

Published

on

by Priyan de Silva

Chairman of the Election Commission of Sri Lanka, Nimal Punchihewa, asked to comment on a special news release, purportedly issued by the Director General of the Department of Government Information, on Sunday (29), told  The Island  that preparations for the 09 March local government elections were going ahead, as planned, and that the media statement at issue was misleading.

The media statement says: “The gazette notice with signatures of the Chairman and other members of the Election Commission required for the commencement of the Local Government election process has not been sent to the Government Press for printing.”

Punchihewa requested the public not to be misled by any misinformation being spread in an attempt to create doubts in their minds.He also  reiterated that the EC would not be deterred by any acts of intimidation.

Three of the EC members have been threatened with death by an unidentified caller to resign from their posts. They are S. B. Divaratne, M. M. Mohamed and K. P. P. Pathirana. The Opposition has accused the government of trying to sabotage the LG polls.

Continue Reading

Trending