Durdans Hospital, located at No. 03 Alfred Place, Colombo 03, became the first private sector hospital in Sri Lanka to be equipped with the world-class ZEISS KINEVO 900 microscope to further enhance theatre operations. DIMO, one of the leading diversified conglomerates in Sri Lanka, recently completed this installation, in line with its efforts to elevate the local healthcare sector with the latest technologies.
Since its inception in 1945, Durdans Hospital has built a reputation for regional leadership in medical excellence and innovation based on a simple philosophy of improving the health of the community to be driven by passion and compassion. Inspired by this purpose, the hospital, in partnership with DIMO, took the initiative to install the state-of-the-art microscope ZEISS KINEVO 900 which is a new surgeon-driven robotic visualization system that merges the functionality of a surgical microscope with 4K and 3D visualization, along with specialized robotic control.
Durdans Hospital constantly seeks to bring the world’s best practices in terms of technology to Sri Lanka, to ensure an enhanced patient comfort as well as a reduced rate of surgeon error. DIMO’s introduction of ZEISS KINEVO 900 was the ideal solution that Durdans Hospital was looking for. Through this optical, navigation and simulation information are streamed into the microscope’s eyepiece and projected on large monitors in the operating room, providing a detailed perspective for the operating room staff. All parties including co-surgeons, surgical assistants and medical residents are now able to view the high-resolution images in real-time while the 3D glasses provide enhanced visualization of neuroanatomy.
ZEISS KINEVO 900 has several features that are the first of its kind, including a specialized robotic control system called PointLock which enables surgeons to focus on a particular point in the surgical field and move the microscope in a spherical arch without losing focus. The use of a foot pedal allows surgeons to navigate safely around the patient during surgery as opposed to repositioning the patient. PositionMemory stores magnification and focus settings for key regions of the brain and QEVO®, a micro-inspection surgical tool, is engineered with an angled design, allowing surgeons to look around complex structures that are out of the microscope’s range. The Digital Hybrid Visualization with integrated 4K camera technology allows heads-up ocular-free surgery, offering the freedom of movement for surgeons.
The Deputy Director of Medical Services of Durdans Hospital, Dr. Jithendri Perera stated, “We aim to be at the forefront of Neurology and Neurosurgery with state-of-the-art medical equipment for our Neurosurgeons. The ZEISS KINEVO 900 Microscope will be a valuable tool for our surgeons to make precise decisions in the operating theatre. Furthermore, excellent patient care is of paramount importance to us as we seek to meet all our patients’ needs. With skilled specialist doctors, technological and infrastructural advancements, Durdans Hospital is set to become the leading healthcare provider for Neurology and Neurosurgery in 2022.”
“We will be expanding our services with a newly constructed Centre of Excellence for Neurology which will be further divided into the four major departments: Neurology, Neurosurgery, Neuro-diagnostics, and Interventional Radiology. A rehabilitation unit with facilities for patients with neurological conditions will be established to provide long-term care for patients and this unit will support the four departments mentioned above”, Dr. Perera further stated.
Speaking on the latest installation at the Durdans Hospital, Wijith Pushpawela, Executive Director of DIMO who also oversees Medical Engineering operations of the Group stated, “DIMO is in the forefront of introducing the latest technological advancements to the local healthcare sector. We are privileged to equip Durdans Hospital with this next generation Visualization System, which has more than 100 new features from ZEISS, the world-renowned brand in the fields of optics and optoelectronics. We have collaborated with Durdans Hospital for several similar projects in the past and we are looking forward to facilitating their future initiatives while sharing our expert knowledge in the medical engineering field to build a healthier nation. As the authorized representative for ZEISS in Sri Lanka, DIMO is fully geared to provide all required after-sales services.”
The latest ZEISS KINEVO 900 microscope at the Durdans Hospital assists medical practitioners to make well-informed decisions while providing convenience and accuracy in surgeries.
Dialog Smart Home Enables Seamless Home Automation via Range of Intuitive Solutions
Dialog Axiata PLC, Sri Lanka’s premier connectivity provider, introduced a range of convenient and integrated solutions via ‘Dialog Smart Home’ to enable intelligent automation and intuitive control of homes.
The newly introduced range of future-fit smart home solutions by Dialog Smart Home ranges from Home Automation, Home Security & Surveillance and Home Connectivity, and are designed to enable any home to work as one harmonious system where all elements work in tandem together to create a truly intelligent home.
The Home Automation solutions offer homeowners seamless and convenient control of their electronic appliances through their smartphones anytime, anywhere. With the Smart Touch Wall Switches, Smart Power Strips and Smart Fan Controllers, homeowners can take control of existing light bulbs, table fans, rice cookers, chargers, ceiling fans and more appliances. Additionally, the Artificial Intelligence (AI) powered TeDi Alexa Solution enables users to control connected smart devices including TVs, air conditioners, home security systems and more through voice commands.
Home Security & Surveillance solutions transform basic cameras into high-powered CCTV solutions. Baby and house monitoring smart cameras can be placed inside homes to keep a 360-degree eye on children and pets. The Indoor Security Camera has the ability to sound a siren and notify users if a stranger enters their home. Dialog Smart Home has also partnered with Singer to offer customers world-renowned Dahua CCTV solutions.
The Home Connectivity solutions offers consumers Wi-Fi extenders to facilitate uninterrupted internet connectivity across the house to fit the homeowner’s lifestyle and requirements.
CBSL implements extraordinary measures to support banking sector
The Central Bank of Sri Lanka, considering the prevailing macroeconomic conditions and its impact on the banking sector, has decided to implement the following regulatory measures to support the banking sector to facilitate effective financial intermediation and the flow of credit to the economy, whilst ensuring the soundness of the banking sector.
• Sri Lankan banking sector maintains a Capital Conservation Buffer (CCB) of 2.5% to ensure that banks have an additional layer of usable capital that can be drawn down during stress times. An industry wide flexibility is granted for banks to drawdown the CCB (up to 2.5%), if needed, subject to restrictions on distribution to shareholders/ repatriation of profits and submission of a capital augmentation plan to rebuild CCB during a period up to three years.
• The current deadline for licensed banks to meet the enhanced minimum capital requirement (31.12.2022) is extended up to 31.12.2023. Licensed banks which are unable to meet the minimum capital requirement by 31.12.2022, need to submit their capital augmentation plan, including plans to consolidate or merge with suitable financial institutions, by 31.12.2022 and these licensed banks too shall refrain from distribution of dividends/ repatriation of profits until the minimum capital requirement is met.
• Licensed banks are encouraged to move to approaches such as The Standardised Approach (TSA) or alternative TSA for computation of risk weighted assets for operational risk for the purposes of computing the Capital Adequacy Ratio, subject to supervisory review.
• Licensed banks are given the flexibility to stagger the unrealised mark to market loss on Government Securities denominated in LKR on account of the recent interest rate hike for Capital Adequacy purposes until Q2 of 2024, subject to conditions.
• Licensed banks are granted flexibility on the treatment for Other Comprehensive Income (OCI) for Capital Adequacy purpose in line with the International Standards.
• The deadline for licensed banks to submit the document on Internal Capital Adequacy Assessment Process (ICAAP) for 2022, to the Central Bank of Sri Lanka is extended by one month, until 30.06.2022.
• As a short-term measure to support licensed banks to adjust their liquidity profiles, licensed banks are provided with the flexibility to operate maintaining the Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR) and Net Stable Funding Ratio (NSFR) not lower than 90% up to 30.09.2022. Furthermore, the Central Bank of Sri Lanka, on 06 May 2022 decided to restrict certain discretionary payments of licensed banks, such as declaring cash dividends and repatriation of profits, until the financial statements for the year 2022 are audited by its External Auditor, engaging in share buy backs, increasing management allowances and payments to the Board of Directors until 31 December 2022 with a view to strengthening the liquidity and capital positions of licensed banks under these exceptional circumstances.
The above measures were introduced with the aim of providing the licensed banks with more flexibility and opportunities to operate in these challenging conditions and support economic recovery, while taking measures to improve their safety and soundness. The Central Bank of Sri Lanka will periodically review the implementation of these policy measures and expects licensed banks to avail these measures in the best interest of the customers and the economy at large, while supporting the banking sector to remain resilient.
CEAT official tyre supplier for locally assembled Tata Ace HT
CEAT Kelani Holdings has been appointed as the official tyre supplier for Tata Ace HT series compact trucks which are assembled in Sri Lanka by DIMO in collaboration with India’s largest automobile manufacturer TATA Motors.
CEAT RHINO PLUS TL tyres in the size of 155R12 8PR, manufactured at the CEAT Kelani plant in Kelaniya are used for the TATA Ace HT series vehicles, popularly known in Sri Lanka as “DIMO Batta” under this project. The locally manufactured CEAT RHINO PLUS TL tyre features a zig zag pattern on its circumference and ribs with lateral notches that contribute towards uniformity and better wear and tear on local roads.
Commenting on this latest OEM agreement of the company, CEAT Kelani Holdings Managing Director Mr. Ravi Dadlani said: “As a brand that has been at the forefront of local value addition in Sri Lanka, CEAT is excited to contribute further to the process through its association with this assembly operation. This is particularly relevant in the prevailing situation in the domestic market. We are able to provide high-quality tyres engineered for local conditions at competitive prices and ensure uninterrupted supply, while at the same time helping to conserve foreign exchange.”
In January this year, CEAT was appointed as an OEM for a range of heavy-duty trucks, tippers and light commercial vehicles assembled in Sri Lanka by Lanka Ashok Leyland PLC (LAL), a joint venture company of Ashok Leyland India. In November 2021 the brand was chosen as the OEM for Bolero City Pik-up vehicles assembled in Sri Lanka by Mahindra & Mahindra India in collaboration with Ideal Motors.
Economic crisis: MR, ministers, CBSL Governor, Dr.PBJ ignored IMF warnings
Thomians triumph in Sydney
Dialog Smart Home Enables Seamless Home Automation via Range of Intuitive Solutions
‘Dates have the highest sugar content to fight Coronavirus’
U.S. Congress to probe assets fleecing by US citizens of Sri Lankan origin
Sunday Island 27 December – Headlines
News6 days ago
Canadian declaration of ‘Tamil genocide’ may influence European parliaments, EU – Maj. Gen. (retd.) Gallage
News1 day ago
Lanka’s Amb. in Tokyo quits amidst bid to secure USD loan
News3 days ago
MR had not decided to resign on 09 May, says Weerasekra
News4 days ago
Two views on Gota going, food crisis threat by August: Ranil
News2 days ago
More Opp. members switch allegiance as six more ministers are sworn in
Sports1 day ago
Kamil Mishara expelled from Dhaka after having ‘visitor’ in hotel room
News3 days ago
Speaker proposes how to steer SL out of crisis
News5 days ago
PM blames ‘last administration’ for country’s current crisis