Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday (05) said developing and underdeveloped countries are paying the price for the “wrong policies” of some developed nations, and asserted that India has raised the issue of climate justice with every such advanced country.
In his video message at a World Environment Day event, Modi said for the protection of the world climate, it is important that all countries think, rising above vested interests. “For a long time, the model of development in big and advanced countries was contradictory. In this developmental model, the thinking was that we first develop our country then we can think about the environment,” the prime minister said. “With this, they achieved the goals of development, but the world’s environment had to pay the price for their development. Today also, the developing and underdeveloped countries of the world are paying the price for the wrong policies of some developed countries,” he said. For decades, no one was there to object to this attitude of some developed countries, Modi said. “I am happy that India has raised the question of climate justice with all these countries,” he said.
In the thousands of years old Indian culture, there is nature as well as progress, Modi said as he credited this to the country’s attention to ecology and economy.
The prime minister said as India is investing unprecedentedly in its infrastructure, it is focusing equally on the environment.
Google accused of directing motorist to drive off collapsed bridge
The family of a US man who drowned after driving off a collapsed bridge are claiming that he died because Google failed to update its maps.
Philip Paxson’s family are suing the company over his death, alleging that Google negligently failed to show the bridge had fallen nine years earlier. The case was filed in civil court in Wake County on Tuesday.
Mr Paxson died in September 2022 after attempting to drive over the damaged bridge in Hickory, North Carolina. A spokesperson for Google said the company was reviewing the allegations.
Paxson, a father of two, was driving home from his daughter’s ninth birthday party at a friend’s house and was in an unfamiliar neighbourhood at the time of his death, according to the family’s lawsuit. His wife had driven his two daughters home earlier, and he stayed behind to help clean up.
“Unfamiliar with local roads, he relied on Google Maps, expecting it would safely direct him home to his wife and daughters,” lawyers for the family said in a statement announcing the lawsuit. “Tragically, as he drove cautiously in the darkness and rain, he unsuspectingly followed Google’s outdated directions to what his family later learned for nearly a decade was called the ‘Bridge to Nowhere,’ crashing into Snow Creek, where he drowned.”
Local residents had repeatedly contacted Google to have them change their online maps after the bridge collapsed in 2013, the suit claims.
Barriers that were normally placed across the bridge entrance were missing due to vandalism, according to the Charlotte Observer.
The lawsuit is also suing three local companies, arguing they had a duty to maintain the bridge.
“Our girls ask how and why their daddy died, and I’m at a loss for words they can understand because, as an adult, I still can’t understand how those responsible for the GPS directions and the bridge could have acted with so little regard for human life,” his wife, Alicia Paxson, said in a statement.
“We have the deepest sympathies for the Paxson family,” a spokesman for Google told AP News. “Our goal is to provide accurate routing information in Maps and we are reviewing this lawsuit.”
Venezuela sends 11,000 troops to retake prison
Venezuela has sent 11,000 troops to regain control of one of its biggest prisons that had been overrun by a powerful criminal gang.
The Tocoron prison, in the north of the country, was under the control of the Tren de Aragua mega-gang for years. Members were able to roam freely around the prison, which had hotel-like facilities including a pool, nightclub and a mini zoo, local media reported.
Officials said the 6,000 inmates would be transferred to other prisons.
Many free residents were living inside the prison alongside sentenced inmates. After authorities announced that prisoners would be relocated, some relatives cried outside, unsure where they would go next. “I am waiting to hear where they are taking my husband. I was living in there, but they kicked us out,” Gladys Hernandez told AFP news agency.
It reported that journalists saw security guards carrying motorcycles, televisions and microwaves from the jail.
In a statement posted to X, formerly Twitter, the Venezuelan Interior Ministry congratulated officers for regaining the prison and dismantling “a centre of conspiracy and crime”.
The leader of the Tren de Aragua gang, Hector Guerrero Flores, was serving a 17 year sentence inside the prison for murder and drug trafficking.
However, he was so powerful that he reportedly used to come and go freely from the prison before becoming a full-time inmate, according to Carlos Nieto, from a coordinator with A Window to Freedom.
Gabon partially suspended from Commonwealth after coup
Gabon has been partially suspended from the Commonwealth after military commanders carried out a coup ousting President Ali Bongo.
The decision was made by Commonwealth foreign ministers meeting on the margins of the United Nations general assembly.
Leaders called on Gabon to uphold the values and principles of the Commonwealth. They asked the country to hold credible elections as soon as possible.
Gabon’s military ousted Mr Bongo from power shortly after he was declared winner of the 2023 presidential election. Bongo had been in power in the oil-rich country since 2009, when he succeeded his father who had ruled the country for 41 years. He was initially placed under house arrest as military leaders took over, but was later freed and given permission to travel abroad for medical check-ups.
The foreign ministers – sitting as the Commonwealth ministerial action group – have requested Gabon guarantee Mr Bongo’s safety and that of his family, and said in a statement that they “strongly condemned the unconstitutional removal of the elected government from office”. They said Gabon’s suspension was in place “pending the restoration of democracy”. It excludes Gabon from all Commonwealth intergovernmental meetings and events, including ministerial and heads of government meetings.
The new prime minister, Raymond Ndong Sima, was installed as interim prime minister in September, after Gen Brice Oligui Nguema, who led the coup became Gabon’s transitional president.
Commonwealth ministers gave the new leaders of Gabon two years from 30 August 2023 to hold credible elections. They added in the statement that if progress was not made in that time, the country may be removed from the group altogether.
Sri Lanka’s foreign reserves up by USD 2billion over the past year – Acting Finance Minister
President Wickremesinghe meets US President Joe Biden in New York
Ministerial Consultative Committee unanimously consent to canceling the nominations submitted for the Local Government Elections
‘Dates have the highest sugar content to fight Coronavirus’
Sunday Island 27 December – Headlines
#Sundayisland Sunday Island- 31 January- Headlines
News7 days ago
C4 whistle-blower’s father among those killed with EPRLF’s Padmanabha in Chennai
News6 days ago
National Security House Committee head asks why Diaspora doesn’t want India and TNA investigated
Editorial7 days ago
Gota as scapegoat
Latest News6 days ago
President Ranil Wickremesinghe addresses G77 & China Summit in Cuba
News4 days ago
G-77 summit: President RW calls for earmarking 1% of GDP for R&D over a decade
Latest News5 days ago
More questions to answer for India, Sri Lanka in Asia Cup final
Latest News4 days ago
Siraj’s spell for the ages gives India eighth Asia Cup title
Features5 days ago
Channel 4 resurrects Easter Sunday, rips open can of squirming worms