Connect with us

News

Countrywide power outage with CEB GM suspecting sabotage

Published

on

Unions reject charge, inquiries underway

Chamal promises tough action if proven

by Ifham Nizam

The entire country was plunged into darkness owing to a sudden power outage before noon on Friday with various parties debating whether it was due to sabotage or not.

Minister of Irrigation and State Minister of Internal Security, Home Affairs and Disaster Management, Chamal Rajapaksa, told Parliament on Friday that the government was investigating the causes behind the power outage in the country and if there was any act of sabotage those who involved in it would be severely dealt with.

Meanwhile General Manager of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), M.R. Ranatunga on Friday said that he suspects the countrywide power failure maybe an act of sabotage by trade unions who had an axe to grind with him. He assured that everything possible was being done to restore normalcy.

The unions rejected this allegation saying two coal power plants in Norochcholai had tripped and all power generations had come to a standstill while one coal power plant was under repair with a cascading effect on the system.

“The electricity generators at Sapugaskanda also tripped. The fuel association of the CEB is managing the situation,” Convenor of the CEB United Trade Union Alliance Ranjan Jayalal said.

Meanwhile, the Colombo Crimes Division commenced an investigation with the assistance of electrical engineers to determine whether the power failure was an act of sabotage.

Police said a Chief Engineer of the Business and Operations Strategy Division of the CEB had lodged a complaint with the Slave Island Police Station on Friday regarding the public distress caused by the power outage in the Welivita area on Thursday night. The engineer had requested the police to investigate whether the power failure was due to  sabotage.

Responding to a question by Anuradhapura District SJB MP Rohana Bandara Dissanayake during the third reading debate on budget 2022, under the expenditure heads of the ministry of defence, Minister Chamal Rajapaksa said that the government would not tolerate sabotage.

Dissanayake said that while national security was being debated in parliament, the whole country had been plunged into a power outage which could be termed a serious threat to the national security. This had happened at a time all reservoirs have reached their spill levels and there was sufficient water to generate hydro power.

Colombo District SJB MP Harsha de Silva said that the entire country was in darkness and parliament was sitting thanks to power supplied by generators.

Minister Rajapaksa said that the government has already called for an investigations and it would not hesitate to take necessary actions on the findings of the probe.

“The electricity generators at Sapugaskanda also tripped. The fuel association of the CEB is administering the situation,” Convenor of the CEB United Trade Union Alliance Ranjan Jayalal said.

Meanwhile, the Colombo Crimes Division commenced an investigation with the assistance of electrical engineers to determine whether the power failure was an act of sabotage.

Police said a Chief Engineer of the Business and Operations Strategy Division of the CEB had lodged a complaint with the Slave Island Police Station on Friday regarding the public distress caused by the power outage in the Welivita area on Thursday night. The engineer had requested the police to investigate whether the power failure was due to  sabotage.

Media spokesman for the Power Ministry Sulakshana Jayawardena said that a total power failure was experienced in the country due to a transmission failure.

He said on Friday that the cause for the failure was not identified yet. The CEB maintenance services were deployed to restore the power supply with the least possible delay.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

NGO to move SC against acquittal and discharge of first accused

Published

on

Welikada Prison killings

‘The BASL should make its position clear now’

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Chairman of the Committee to Protect the Rights of Prisoners, Attorney-at-Law, Senaka Perera, says his outfit will soon move the Supreme Court against the acquittal and discharging of Inspector Neomal Moses Rangajiva, the first accused in the Welikada Prison killings.

The civil society activist, in a brief interview with The Island, over the weekend, said that the relatives of those who perished in the violence in the Welikada Prison compound on Nov 09 and 10, 2012, had requested him to pursue this matter.

Colombo High Court Trial-at-Bar last Wednesday (12) sentenced to death ex-Welikada Prisons Chief Lamahewage Emil Ranjan over the Welikada killings. He was the second accused in the high-profile case, whereas Rangajiva, at that time attached to the Police Narcotics Bureau (PNB), was acquitted and released from all charges.

Lawyer Perera said that as the verdict had been given by a Trial-at-Bar, the appeal would have to be made to the Supreme Court. The Trial-at-Bar bench comprising High Court judges Gihan Kulathunga (President), Pradeep Hettiarachchi and Manjula Thilakarathna was unanimous in its decisions.

The Trial-at-Bar said that the prosecution failed to prove its case against the PNB officer beyond reasonable doubt.

Responding to questions, Senaka Perera said that if it hadn’t been a Trial-at-Bar, his group would have moved the Court of Appeal. Senaka Perera explained: “We intend to write to Attorney General Sanjay Rajaratnam, PC, in this regard. We are of the view the AG should appeal against the acquittal and discharging of Rangajiva. However, if the AG refrained from doing so,  the Committee to Protect the Rights of Prisoners will accept the responsibility.”

In terms of the Trial-at-Bar proceedings, the eight prison inmates who were killed in the incident are Kankanmalage Malinda Nilendra Pelpola alias Malan, Attapattu Sangakkara Nirmala Atapattu, Mohammed Wijaya Rohana alias Gundu, Chinthamani Mohottige Thushara Chandana alias Kalu Thushara, Asarappulige Jothipala alias Ponna Kapila, Harshan Sri Manakeerthi Perera alias Manju Sri, Raigamage Susantha Perera alias Mala Susantha, Devamullage Malith Sameera Perera alias Konda Amila.

However, lawyer Senaka Perera said that altogether 27 inmates had been killed after the deployment of the Special Task Force (STF) and the Army inside the Welikada Prison. According to official records, in addition to 27 deaths, at least 43 other inmates received injuries. The then Prisons Minister Chandrasiri Gajadeera informed Parliament of the deaths of 27 inmates.

The then Police Spokesman SSP Prishantha Jayakoday said that inmates had triggered violence as the STF was looking for drugs and hand phones inside the prison.

The Attorney General filed indictments against IP Rangajeewa, Lamahewage Emil Ranjan and Indika Sampath, an officer attached to the Prisons intelligence unit under 33 counts, including committing murder, conspiring to commit murder after being members of an unlawful assembly.

The Court proceeded in spite of the third accused Indika Sampath who managed to evade the police so far.

The human rights activist recalled how Chief Justice Jayantha Jayasuriya, PC, named a Trial-at-Bar to hear the Welikada case on a request made by Rajaratnam’s predecessor, Dappula de Livera, PC. The latter made the request in late June 2019. Rajaratnam succeeded de Livera in late May 2021.

The Prisons Department and the Justice Ministry couldn’t absolve themselves of the responsibility for ensuring safety and security of those in their care, lawyer Senaka Perera said. Those who had been remanded and sentenced could be serious offenders and some may even deserve a death sentence but the State shouldn’t under any circumstances resort to extra judicial measures, the public litigation activist said.

Lawyer Senaka Perera said that he believed the Bar Association of Sri Lanka (BASL) should examine the Welikada case and make its position known to the public. “Perhaps, the BASL, too, should consider moving the SC against the acquittal and discharging of the first accused,” the lawyer said.

Lawyer Senaka Perera said that before the former AG made an intervention the progress in investigations had been slow. In fact, real progress was made since 2017, two years after the change of government following the 2015 presidential election, the lawyer said, alleging that the powers that be continuously hindered the investigations.

According to lawyer Perera and other sources, there had been four separate investigations at different levels beginning with the one launched by the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) immediately after the Welikada killings. Subsequently the then Prisons Minister the late Chandrasiri Gajadeera named a three-member team to inquire into the Welikada killings. The committee comprising retired High Court judge Bandula Atapattu, retired DIG Gunasena Thenabadu and Prisons Ministry Legal Officer Lalith Andrahannadi produced two reports in Feb 2013 and Nov 2013. There had been two other investigations ordered by the then Prisons Chief P.W. Kodipillai and the Human Rights Commission.

Lawyer Senaka Perera said that the four investigations undertaken during the Rajapaksa administration should be examined. The lawyer emphasized the importance of appraisal of the investigations as the Trial-at-Bar declared that the progress had been made only since 2017.

In addition to those four investigations, there had been another report prepared by the three-member committee comprising retired High Court judge Wimal Nambuwasam, retired Senior DIG Asoka Wijeyatilleke and senior public servant S.K. Liyanage. Appointed on January 22, 2015, less than two weeks after the presidential election, the committee handed over its report to the then Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and Justice Minister Dr. Wijeyadasa Rajapakse, PC, on June 09, 2015 as the latter appointed it.

Lawyer Perera said that the former Prisons Chief claimed that the inmates after having broken into the Prisons armoury seized weapons, including machine guns.

The activist pointed out that the 2012 incidents were the worst since the 1983 massacre of Tamil terrorist suspects. The public have lost faith in law enforcement authorities and the political leadership regardless of the party that held power, the lawyer said. There couldn’t be better example than how the current dispensation handled the then State Minister for Prisons Lohan Ratwatte’s ‘raids’ on Welikada and Anuradhapura prisons in September last year.

The report prepared by retired High Court judge Kusala Sarojini Weerawardena into the incidents involving Ratwatte should be made public as the police were yet to at least record the State Minister’s statement, lawyer Perera said.

Continue Reading

News

China donates shipment of rice to Sri Lanka

Published

on

By Anura Balasuriya

China will soon send a shipment of rice to Sri Lanka as a donation, a Ministry of Trade spokesman said.

The donation comes in the wake of the 70 year anniversary of the Sri Lanka – China Rubber Rice pact on 1952.

Minister of Trade Bandula Gunawardane had discussed the matter recently with a senior Chinese Embassy officia, the Trade Ministry Spokesman said.

“The Chinese Embassy in Colombo is already doing the needful. The Trade Ministry has informed China of the varieties of rice that Sri Lankan consumers like,” the Trade Ministry Spokesman said.

Continue Reading

News

Rating downgrades discourage investors – JVP

Published

on

JVP MP Dr. Harini Amarasuriya, on Friday (14) day, said investors were discouraged by the continuous downgrading of the country’s credit ratings.

Speaking at an event in Colombo, MP Amarasuriya said import costs had increased as the country was going through a forex crisis. The President’s agricultural policy had been a disaster and that in the coming months, the government would have to import large volumes of food.

Amarasuriya added that Sri Lanka’s relations with other nations had deteriorated and that too would have an adverse impact on the country.

Dr. Amarasuriya said that international rating agencies were independent and that their ratings were very important for investors to make decisions.

“Investors don’t consult Ajith Nivard Cabraal before investing. Besides, in other countries, it is economic experts, not politicians, who become Central Bank Governors,” she added.

Continue Reading

Trending