News
Anger over bloated new govt
by Amal Jayasinghe
Sri Lanka added 37 new senior posts to its government on Thursday, sparking a social media backlash over “useless” public spending in the middle of its worst economic crisis on record.The country of 22 million has suffered months of rampant inflation, severe shortages of essential goods and widespread protests, pushing it to default on its foreign debt in April.
The 37 new state ministers will not accept their modest salaries, but they are entitled to three cars each with fuel, state housing, bodyguards, salaries for personal staff and free stamps, the government said.On social media, some Sri Lankans vented frustration over the use of public funds.
“No pot to pee… but 37 state ministers!” tweeted user Soraya Deen.
Mirhani Rahees added on the platform: “Spending on these useless state ministers… we have to tighten our belts. There goes my tax money in flames.”
Another user, Krishna Perera, accused the government of having “no commitment to human rights, economic reform, or accountability”.�
The new members all come from the coalition of former president Gotabaya Rajapaksa, who fled Sri Lanka in July after protesters overran his official residence, but he returned to the country last week.Among the new ministers is Rajapaksa’s nephew, Sashindra, who takes the�irrigation portfolio.
The 37 new posts are in addition to the 20-member cabinet of President Ranil Wickremesinghe, who took over in late July following Rajapaksa’s exit.
Wickremesinghe, a six-time prime minister, has only one seat in the 225-member parliament and depends on Rajapaksa’s Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) party, the largest bloc.Officials close to Wickremesinghe said his attempts to form a broad unity government were yet to materialise as the main opposition Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) had refused to join.
Sri Lanka is in talks with the International Monetary Fund to finalise a $2.9-billion bailout that requires Colombo to raise taxes and privatise loss-making state enterprises — both politically unpopular moves.
In a new report released Tuesday, the UN Human Rights Council urged Wickremesinghe to prosecute those responsible for economic crimes that bankrupted the country.The report said a culture of impunity for war-time atrocities during the decades-long civil war that ended in 2009 had led to the economic crisis which has undermined the rights of all communities.
News
Australian yacht held in Sri Lanka since Covid-19 time; a victim of bureaucratic Catch-22
An Australian sea captain has said that his yacht is detained in Sri Lanka for six years, in what he describes as a “bureaucratic Catch-22” involving the Ceylon Fisheries Harbour Corporation (CFHC).
According to a statement issued by the affected party, Captain Paul Saliba’s vessel, Sea Wolf, arrived in Sri Lanka on 3 March, 2020, enroute to Europe. Mechanical failure shortly after departure coincided with the global outbreak of COVID-19, leaving the vessel stranded.
The text of the statement: “Captain Saliba was directed by the Australian Government to return home in April 2020 and entered hotel quarantine in Sydney. During his absence, Sea Wolf was placed on the hardstand at Walkers Shipyard in Colombo. The yard subsequently went bankrupt during the pandemic.
Since returning in September 2022, Captain Saliba has made seven trips to Sri Lanka in attempts to relaunch the yacht. He was repeatedly informed that the shipyard’s shiplift was inoperable and that no qualified operator was available.
In May, 2025, written permission to launch was granted. However, police allegedly intervened and attempted to arrest the operator engaged to run the lift, halting the process.
On 16 February, 2026, the Presidential Secretariat summoned CFHC officials and instructed that the vessel be allowed to depart without port charges, with launch fees to be deducted from a US$5,000 security deposit paid in 2020. At the subsequent CFHC board meeting on 26 February, 2026, no decision was recorded.
Captain Saliba says he has contacted the office of his local member of Parliament, Tanya Plibersek, and sought assistance from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Efforts to file a local police report in Colombo were unsuccessful.
“I cannot walk away because fees will keep mounting,” Captain Saliba said. “I cannot leave because they won’t put my boat in the water. It’s the worst kind of Catch-22.”
Captain Saliba is now calling for international media attention, hoping public scrutiny will resolve, what he describes as, an unjust and protracted detention of private property.
Latest News
Landslide Early Warnings issued to the Districts of Badulla, Kalutara, Kandy, Kegalle, Kurunegala, Matale and Monaragala
The National Building Research Organisation (NBRO) has issued landslide early warnings to the districts of Badulla, Kalutara, Kandy, Kegalle, Kurunegala, Matale and Monaragala effective untill 2100hrs on 12th May 2026.
Accordingly,
Level II landslide early warnings have been issued to the divisional secretaries division and surrounding areas of Passara in the Badulla district.
Level I landslide early warnings have been issued to the divisional secretaries divisions and surrounding areas of Bandarawela in the Badulla district, Walallawita in the Kalutara district, Pasbage Korale, Akurana, Gangawata Korale, Panvila, Yatinuwara, Ganga Ihala Korale, Doluwa and Udapalatha in the Kandy district, Mawanella, Bulathkohupitiya, Yatiyanthota, Aranayaka, Kegalle and Rambukkana in the Kegalle district, Rideegama in the Kurunegala district, Rattota, Naula and Ambanganga Korale in the Matale district and Badalkumbura and Wellawaya in the Monaragala district.
News
Showers about 100 mm are likely at some places in the Western, Sabaragamuwa, Central, Uva, Southern, North-western, Northern and North-central provinces and in Trincomalee district.
WEATHER FORECAST FOR 11 MAY 2026
Issued at 05.30 a.m. on 11 May 2026 by the Department of Meteorology
The low-level atmospheric disturbance in the vicinity of Sri Lanka is likely to develop into a low-pressure area around the next 36 hours. Therefore, the prevailing showery conditions over the island are expected to continue during the next few days.
Showers or thundershowers will occur at times in most parts of the island and Cloudy skies are expected, under the influence of the aforementioned system. Heavy showers about 100 mm are likely at some places in the Western, Sabaragamuwa, Central, Uva, Southern, North-western, Northern and North-central provinces and in Trincomalee district.
The general public is kindly requested to take adequate precautions to minimize damage caused by temporary localized strong winds and lightning during thundershowers.
-
News5 days agoMIT expert warns of catastrophic consequences of USD 2.5 mn Treasury heist
-
News7 days agoCJ urged to inquire into AKD’s remarks on May 25 court verdict
-
News2 days agoLanka Port City officials to meet investors in Dubai
-
Editorial5 days agoClean Sri Lanka and dirty politics
-
Opinion7 days agoSecurity, perception, and trust: Sri Lanka’s delicate balancing act
-
Editorial4 days agoThe Vijay factor
-
News3 days agoSLPP expresses concern over death of former SriLankan CEO
-
News6 days agoDevelopment Officer bids Rs. 48 mn for CPC’s V8 at auction
