Connect with us

news

Amendment to existing law necessary for holding PC polls, AG informs PSC

Published

on

Leader of the House and Education Minister Dinesh Gunawardena has informed the Parliamentary Select Committee on electoral reforms that the Provincial Council elections cannot be held without an amendment to the existing law.

Minister Gunawardena, who is also the chairman of the PSC, said that the Attorney General’s opinion had been consulted on the holding of elections for the provincial councils and the latter had pointed out that the elections could not be held even under the previous system with an amendment to the law.

The minister said so at a meeting of the Select Committee of Parliament to identify appropriate reforms of the election laws and the electoral system and to recommend necessary amendments held on Friday (8).

The minister told the committee members that this a legal impediment to hold the Provincial Council elections, which were functioning for a prolonged period of time without people’s representatives.

Various members of the committee had previously stressed the need to hold Provincial Councils elections without delay and reiterated the same sentiments during the Friday’s meeting.

Although the existing Act on Provincial Council elections is repealed, the polls cannot be held under any system without enacting a new Act, the Attorney General has informed the committee.

The PSC comprises of Ministers Nimal Siripala de Silva, Prof GL Peiris, Basil Rajapaksa, Pavithra Wanniarachchi, Douglas Devananda, Wimal Weerawansa, Ali Sabry and MPs Jeewan Thondaman, Anura Kumara Dissanayake, Kabir Hashim, Ranjith Madduma Bandara, Mano Ganesan, MA Sumanthiran, Madhura Withanage, Sagara Kariyawasam and Rauff Hakim.

Among those present were State Minister of State Minister of Ornamental Fish, Inland Fish and Prawn Farming, Fishery Harbour Development, Multi Day Fishing Activities and Fish Exports Kanchana Wijesekera, MPs UK Sumith, Gunapala Ratnayake, local government officials and politicians of the Kuruengala District.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Two-year reconciliation project spurns Lord Naseby’s disclosure

Published

on

EU, Germany funded scheme costs Rs. 8 mn

By Shamindra Ferdinando

The National Peace Council (NPC) says war-related matters hadn’t been discussed at the nearly two-year-long reconciliation project that brought together students from Eastern, Jaffna, Ruhuna and Sabaragamuwa Universities.

More than 160 students have participated in the project that culminated with a conference on the theme of ‘Plural Sri Lanka: Paths to reconciliation.’ Foreign Minister Prof. G.L. Peiris delivered the closing address and responded to questions from the audience.

Pointing out that post-war reconciliation efforts had been badly hampered by allegations that the Sri Lankan military killed over 40,000 civilians on the Vanni east front, The Island sought clarification as regards measures taken by the NPC to improve relations among the communities, and the following questions were raised:

The Island:

During your two-year long project did participants discuss specific war crimes allegations and disclosure made in the House of Lords in Oct 2017 that contradicted unsubstantiated accusations pertaining to 40,000 civilian deaths.

Executive Director NPC Dr. Jehan Perera:

“No, we did not discuss these war-related matters. The project was titled “Creative Youth Engagement for Pluralism” and it focused on the nature of Sri Lanka as a plural society and the value framework that should guide it.  The research papers highlighted the diversity within Sri Lankan society that goes beyond ethnicity and religion.  They included topics such as “Attitudes of Society on Education and Transsexuality: A Comparative Study on the Ideologies of a Community with Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary Education,” and “Pluralism and University Subculture: An Ethnological Study on Young Behavior towards Social Cohesion,” and “An Investigative Study of the Challenges Posed by the Changes in the Aboriginal Society.”

The Island:

What is the total cost of the project?

The NPC

: Rs 8 million was spent to train and mentor the writers of the 30 research publications in four universities, translate, review and publish their findings in book form and for the conference which brought the students to Colombo.

Question 3:

What is the GoSL’s contribution?

The NPC:

There was no direct financial support by the government. Four state universities supported through their faculty members and students.

The Island: What is the NPC’s stand on accountability resolution and announcement made in Geneva that the Sri Lankan military would be subjected to a fresh inquiry?

The NPC:

In order to get out of these allegations, there is a need for a credible and independent investigation. Our preference is for a national mechanism that is acceptable to all sides.  Accountability will need to be a part of the reconciliation process.  NPC favours the restorative justice approach which focuses on ensuring justice to victims. This includes an acknowledgement of wrongs done and reparations and institutional reform to ensure that there is non-recurrence. 

 The Island: Are you also engaged in post-war reconciliation projects funded by Norway?

The NPC:

NPC hasn’t obtained funds from Norway for the past five years.

The recently concluded project has been funded by a project called Strengthening Reconciliation Process here jointly funded by the European Union and the German Federal Foreign Office and implemented by Deutsche Gesellsschaft Fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH and the British Council in partnership with the Sri Lankan Government.

Continue Reading

news

Speaker promises to appoint bi-partisan committee to look into incidents in Parliament

Published

on

Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena announced in Parliament yesterday (06) that a committee consisting of senior members from the Government and Opposition would be appointed within the week to look into the incidents that took place in Parliament last Friday and Saturday and submit a report.

Continue Reading

news

High Court Trial-at-Bar orders release of several accused from 11 charges in CB bond auction case

Published

on

By AJA Abeynayake

Colombo High Court Trial-at-Bar yesterday ordered the release of several accused, including former Finance Minister Ravi Karunanayke and former Central Bank former Governor Arjuna Mahendra, from 11 charges out of 22 in connection with the Central Bank bond auction held on 31 March, 2016.

Colombo High Court Trial-at-Bar held that public property charges against the accused could not be maintained. Indictments had been filed against Perpetual Treasuries Private Ltd (PTL), former Finance Minister Ravi Karunanayke, CBSL former Governor Arjuna Mahendran, Perpetual Treasuries Limited (PTL) beneficiary owner Arjun Aloysius, PTL Chief dealer Kasun Palisena, Chairman of PTL Jeffrey Joseph Aloysius, Chitta Ranjan Hulugalle, Muthuraja Surendran, Ajahn Gardiye Punchihewa and Badugoda Hewa Indika Saman Kumara in connection with bond auction held on March 31, 2016.

The case against seventh accused Ranjan Hulugalle was dismissed on preliminary objections raised.

President’s Counsel Anil Silva, Counsel Asela Serasinghe, Hafeel Farisz, Sahan Kulatunga and Vishwaka Peiris appeared for the seventh accused.

The Attorney General’s stance regarding the future cause of action to be informed on 26 Jan. 2022.

The Attorney General had alleged that the PTL had been using the Central Bank’s important undisclosed information to alter the final outcome of the Treasury bond auction and it had a huge impact on the overall national economy as a result of the subtle; the systematic conduct of the offences related to the fraud and had caused injustice to other primary sellers in the bond market, and the PTL had acted cunningly and made a huge profit and conspired to cause a huge loss to the government.

The case was postponed until 26 Jan. 2022.

Continue Reading

Trending