Siyambalapitiya gives two hour statement to CID



article_image

By Rathindra Kuruwita


Former Minister of Power and Energy, Ranjith Siyambalapitiya, yesterday (13), gave a statement to the CID unit attached to the the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (PCoI) investigating corruption in the current administration on allegations that he attempted to prevent Lanka Transformers Ltd. (LTL) from receiving the tender to construct a 300 MW LNG power plant at Kerawalapitiya.


Sameera Ganegoda, Chairperson of the LTL staff Union told the PCoI on August 01 that at a meeting held on June 13, 2017 Secretary to the Ministry of Power, Suren Batagoda had told Chairperson of LTL,


U. D. Jayawardena to withdraw the LTL’s bid.


Later they played a voice clip, allegedly containing the voice of Batagoda saying that he was acting according to the instructions of the minister. Since Siyambalapitiya was the Minister of Power at that time, the PCoI issued notice on him.


Siyambalapitiya arrived at the CID at 8 am and gave his statement for two hours. The CID asked him whether he had influenced the procurement project. Siyambalapitiya denied the allegations. He is to be called before the PCoI soon.


Last week, Ganegoda said that Sri Lanka would lose Rs. 90 billion within the next 20 years if the government awarded the tender for the construction of the 300 MW LNG power plant at Kerawalapitiya to any other company. Ganegoda said that LTL was one of the main contenders for the construction of the plant. LTL was recommended by the Technical Evaluation Committee (TEC) for construction of the power plant on four separate occasions.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
animated gif
Processing Request
Please Wait...