Gamini Senarath, two others remanded



By A.J.A.  Abeynayake


Colombo Fort Magistrate Lanka Jayaratne yesterday remanded former President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s Chief of Staff Gamini Senarath and two others, upon their surrender. They have been charged with misappropriation of state funds to the tune of four billion rupees.


They will be produced before court on Nov. 15 when the case is taken up again.


Other two suspects are Piyadasa Kudabalage and Neil Bandara, former Directors of Sri Lanka Insurance Corporation.


The three suspects have been charged by the Financial Crimes Investigations Division (FCID) with misappropriating four billion rupees out of Rs. 18.5 billion allocated for the Grand Hyatt Hotel project at Kollupitiya and investing it in the Hyatt Regency Hotel, Hambantota project without proper authority.


They surrendered to court after their lawyers filed a motion.


The team of defence counsel led by Ali Sabry PC requested the court to grant them bail under any condition. He cited that the charges against the suspects did not come under the Public Property Act and that they were willing to cooperate and assist any investigation and they had voluntarily surrendered to the court.


Deputy Solicitor General Thusith Mudalige, objecting to bail, said they had been charged under the Public Property Act and investigations had not been concluded.


The DSG told the court that the suspects had promised that they would surrender to court on 09 Nov. but failed to do so. The judge ordered the counsel for the suspects to make written submissions in this regard tomorrow (15).


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
animated gif
Processing Request
Please Wait...